Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESA Medical Assessment - Any Advice!

ESA Medical Assessment - Any Advice!

H,

Just looking for some advice, I have my first ESA Medical Assessment on 20th Of June. What questions I may be asked? I've read a lot of bad things. Just wondering If anyone have positive experiences of ATOS?

I am scared that I might struggle or stutter on some of the questions. Can my mum answers the questions for me, If I get stuck on a few questions? I tend to get very nervous, anxious and I am quite self conscious of speaking as I have got speech impediment and a few other disabilities I have got.

Thanks.

ive just got a phone call off them booking me a medical for the 27th june

Quote Originally Posted by graemet View Post
    ive just got a phone call off them booking me a medical for the 27th june
    Good luck with yours.

I am worry that ATOS Doctor or Nurse will not ask any questions relevant to my Disability/Health issues, it's just I read a lot of negatives awful stories about ATOS, and lying in the Medical Report. "Think Positive" lol.

It's one of those things that you only ever read horror stories of ATOS because no one posts good stories. There are some bad experiences with ATOS but that is against the 1000's that go ok.
    The important thing to remember that this is about what you are able to do and not about your illness. Preperation is everything, be clear in your mind as to ALL the ways your illness affects your abilities to do tasks.
    If you have genuine problems all will be ok, if THEY mess up you can appeal, so there is nothing to fear.
    All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    It's one of those things that you only ever read horror stories of ATOS because no one posts good stories. There are some bad experiences with ATOS but that is against the 1000's that go ok.
    The important thing to remember that this is about what you are able to do and not about your illness. Preperation is everything, be clear in your mind as to ALL the ways your illness affects your abilities to do tasks.
    If you have genuine problems all will be ok, if THEY mess up you can appeal, so there is nothing to fear.
    All the best.
    Thanks for your reply and your advice. I am still dreading the medical, like everyone else is. I can only tell the truth about my disabilities, how it affects my abilities and then I will wait. As you said above if I fail, I will then appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shystar View Post
    H,

Just looking for some advice, I have my first ESA Medical Assessment on 20th Of June. What questions I may be asked? I've read a lot of bad things. Just wondering If anyone have positive experiences of ATOS?

I am scared that I might struggle or stutter on some of the questions. Can my mum answers the questions for me, If I get stuck on a few questions? I tend to get very nervous, anxious and I am quite self conscious of speaking as I have got speech impediment and a few other disabilities I have got.

Thanks.
    I have had two medicals within six months and both were positive experiences with ATOS.The first one I attended, I had a doctor who did ask me questions about my illness and my medical history which I was not expecting for ESA assessment and how I coped with everyday tasks.I did not sit for long periods during interview but stood and sat in equal measure to make myself comfortable .My medicines were discussed and what I did during my hours at home.The new ESA assessment looks at what your illness allows you to do, when I was asked to lie on the couch and lift my leg, I refused to lift my right leg as it is damaged and the doctor was ok with that.Also when asked to bend I refused as it is too painful,once again he was good with that and did not lift arms above my head explaining reasons to him.I passed the first medical and had a practice nurse doing my second,this was only to add a few things to the doctors earlier report.Once again i refused to bend or lift arms above head,was nervous refusing, but once again I passed medical and was placed in Support group for three years.Obviously I do not know how your illness affects you, but do not feel pressured into doing things for the examiner that you would not normally be able to do.I wish you good luck for your medical.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQ View Post
    I have had two medicals within six months and both were positive experiences with ATOS.The first one I attended, I had a doctor who did ask me questions about my illness and my medical history which I was not expecting for ESA assessment and how I coped with everyday tasks.I did not sit for long periods during interview but stood and sat in equal measure to make myself comfortable .My medicines were discussed and what I did during my hours at home.The new ESA assessment looks at what your illness allows you to do, when I was asked to lie on the couch and lift my leg, I refused to lift my right leg as it is damaged and the doctor was ok with that.Also when asked to bend I refused as it is too painful,once again he was good with that and did not lift arms above my head explaining reasons to him.I passed the first medical and had a practice nurse doing my second,this was only to add a few things to the doctors earlier report.Once again i refused to bend or lift arms above head,was nervous refusing, but once again I passed medical and was placed in Support group for three years.Obviously I do not know how your illness affects you, but do not feel pressured into doing things for the examiner that you would not normally be able to do.I wish you good luck for your medical.
    Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. It's nice to read a postive experience with ATOS.

One of my main disability is that, I was born with "Klipper Feil Syndrome" - (fused upper-vertebrate in the neck region - shorten of the neck - also indicated the inability to move the head normally. Basically I was born with a very short neck, as It's noticeable in public and people constantly stare at me. (Which I struggle the most personally) I am also profoundly deaf in my left ear and severe deafness in my right ear.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question. I will let you know how I get on with the medical.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    1000s of people on many forums unhappy with medicals .. many more have no problems atos like any company make mistakes tell them about what you can and cant do not whats wrong with you
    Thanks for your reply Dave. I shall be honest and explain what I can and can't do. I have got nothing to hide, I will be taking my GP supporting letter along with me at the medical.

I am back from my ESA Medical Assessment, I was in there over 35 mins. I was bag of nerves, anxious and shaking like a leaf in the waiting room, nearly cried at one point.

I had a lady doctor who asked me questions about my disabilities/illness/medications and how It's effect my abilities etc. Nothing about TV/Hobbies/Pets as I was expecting to be asked to be honest. I was asked to touch my toes, but I refused it I know It would give me discomfort/hurt on my upper spine/neck. And asked If I could turn my head side to side, which I cannot do. As my neck rotation is very limited.

I think It's went ok, but not getting my hopes up. It will take to up 2-4 weeks to find out what the outcome is, as I was told this by the Doctor. Thank god It's over and done with, at least I can sleep tonight lol.

Hello, just a little update.

I received the dreading letter, I have been put in the Work Related Activity Group. I honestly thought I was going to fail, as I have read some awful stories on the internet. I am not looking forward taking part in work-focused interviews, with a new personal adviser? I am dreading that I will have to do courses/training, as I am not very good with mixing in a group of people etc. I really stuffer from bad anxiety/panic attack in group environment.

Should I appeal to be in the support group? I worry that I would lose my WRAG altogether. Anyone got experience being in WRAG?

It's says "the amount on this page from 8th of June to 30th September 2013" Does that's mean I am on the WRAG for a year then, basically?

Thanks.