Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confused!!!

confused!!!

Hi, I recieve high care componant DLA and low mobility. I also recieve income support and severe disability premium. Nobody claims carers allowance to look after me.
    My son wants to come and live with me but i have been told i will lose severe disability premium. Although he cannot care/or claim carers allowance for me because he works (minimum wage).
    Therefore i would lose almost 60 a week and still have to pay somebody to look after me. Surely this cant be right? Can it?

Yes I'm afraid it is right that you would lose the SDP element. But you would have the ordinary disability premium so the loss shouldn't be as high as you estimate.
    The rule for people to get the SDP is that they 'live alone' and no-one claims CA for looking after them.
    I agree it doesn't seem fair, but the benefit which is intended to pay for you care needs is your DLA. The Income Support premiums are meant to take account of your personal situation, and that is what would change. It is assumed that your son would be contributing to the household, whether or not he is able to provide care.

He should not have been told he cannot claim, he can claim. The person who claims does not even have to live with you. However, any claim for CA will be taken off your IS as it is classed as income.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    He should not have been told he cannot claim, he can claim. The person who claims does not even have to live with you. However, any claim for CA will be taken off your IS as it is classed as income.
    But only if he earns under 100 per week.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that part. How could I? it angers me that CA is for pay someone to care for us, yet myself & many others have it taken off us because it is classed as income.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Sorry, I keep forgetting that part. How could I? it angers me that CA is for pay someone to care for us, yet myself & many others have it taken off us because it is classed as income.
    of course its income someone gets paid it for careing and can also be working so thats why its taxable and counted as income.... and DLA is not taxable

dla refused after reconsideration

Hi Stephen

Sorry to post on this thread but i'm not sure how to start a new one after
    several tries and failing lol anyway i'm not sure if you remember me from
    a few month back Marie from Glasgow i asked for advice on my dla renewal
    being refused and asked them for reconcideration so after waiting 14 weeks
    they have kept the original decision and gave me no award so my dla stopped
    11-6-12 ,i know i can appeal now but not sure i could cope with anymore stress
    if i decided to make a fresh claim which i have been told might be easier how long
    do i have to wait to make the new claim after my current claim ended on 11-6-12
    as always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Marie

Yes Dave, but we do not benefit from it, in that sense. We need it to pay someone to care for us. What is the point of giving it then taking it back?

Marie, I replied in the other Forum.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Yes Dave, but we do not benefit from it, in that sense. We need it to pay someone to care for us. What is the point of giving it then taking it back?

Marie, I replied in the other Forum.
    you do benefit you get care

Yes, but that is the point of the money, to pay someone for that. My point is that there is no point giving it to us if they are going to just take it back.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen