Thread: How do ATOS hcp and DWP arrive at decisions?

How do ATOS hcp and DWP arrive at decisions?

Hi All, Especially to Corneucopia, Mikeydt1, Samia, Stepheninleeds and Shystar, (as for Davewhit, not even gonna let him try and get to me. What he says may be true and that could happen at any time. Personally, I do not need those sort of comments after the past 2 years + that I and my partner, have experienced. I would have thought better of a ‘senior’ member. Think on, my personal opinion is, those type of reckless comments are not needed and may well have seriously affected somebody else who had just been through which I and many other have).

Now, back to this post, which although new help needed, is a continuation of my recent result.

Can anybody expand of the following (using my result as an example). Once a person has been notified of their result, (whether it be passing ESA WCA and being placed in the WRAG or Support group) and for those requesting a copy of the ESA85 (report submitted to DWP from ATOS detailing decision by hcp and the reasons for such decision) can anybody tell me:

1) When hcp receives ESA50 and supporting evidence, will they read these documents and, for instance, if support group criteria has been satisfied/accepted by answer given at Question 1 a of ESA50, meaning client has satisfied he is not fit for work and placed in support group, will the hcp leave it at that, and advise DWP of their findings at that point? OR,

2) Even if client, after the answer given to Q 1 a of ESA50, satisfies criteria for support group, is the hcp obliged to continue and fully read the complete ESA50 and answers with any supporting evidence, and complete ESA85 advising DWP of their findings?

I am interested for a number of reasons, but more so to find out on what grounds I have been placed in support group. I will be requesting a copy of my ESA85, but not at the moment. I want to receive confirmation of the call we received recently in black and white and digest its contents (it may well be I have further queries from its contents).

Can anybody tell me why there may be any reasons why people should not request copy of their ESA85?

Again, many thanks for the positive responses received, and Davewhit, please, please, please, bear in mind how others may take your comments. You are normally quite sensible and it may be an idea for you to put yourself in other peoples shoes before responding as you did, in my case. I am just glad that I have somebody by my side, who understands me better than I do. Other people posting may not be as lucky as me and that type of response could quite easily have put them back so, so far, from where they had come, undoing so much hard, hard work. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful or even rude, just needed to point out a few truths!

As always, look forward to any answers anybody can give, and if any other news in award letter, once received, will add this to this post.

Spencer69

Hi Davewhit, I am not appealing anything...god forbid. I was migrated from IB. Sent ESA50 with numerous additional documentation. 2 weeks later call received. Passed ESA WCA, no medical, placed in support group for 3 (three) years.

Surely since I have already been assessed and result as above, simply for asking for copy of ESA85 how can I be reviewed? I (or members of my group) are interested in contents of the report by hcp who looked at my esa50. Like to know on what grounds I have been placed in support group, unless this is mentioned in letter from DWP confirming content of tel call informing me of my result!

spencer69

Hi Spencer, I too have had a problem with this - although slightlt different in that I did not receive anything from DWP advising of benefit changes; did not have ATOS medical (and have not done for about 18 mths); was called in for WRAG interview at Jobcentre where I was informed that a decision had been made to place me in a WRAG group. I appealled on the basis that I had not been assessed by ATOS and received a decision letter (ESA85) in March 2012 which was dated December 2011. It took many telephone calls to DWP to explain situation (and a 12 page document explainingmy entire medical situation), and I contacted my MP to complain about the way I had been treated (and particularly the fact of ATOS assessment [see my thread re: Indescriminate penpushers making arbitary decisions]), followed by a ten minute telephone conversation which the chief medical advisor for ATOS, before this arbitrary and wrong decision was reversed and I was placed in the support group. In terms of the ESA85 for the change in decision I am still awaiting this.
    Hope you are well - Alan61

Hi To All, Question for Davewhit and anybody else who can point me to the relevant post on the other site, similar to my request for ESA85A.

Davewhit, you mention in reply to this post (on this site) that this recently happened to somebody on B&W. Can you give me title of that post and the date it was submitted to B&W, please?

Reason why I am asking for this, even at this point, is so that I can find out if that post and mine are the same, or if there are any differences in our requests for ESA85A, just to appease my own mind.

Many thanks (and hope you don't take my earlier comments to heart-just that not the sort of thing i or my partner really needed to hear, especially after the previous 2 years plus worry not knowing our outcome).

spencer69.

hiya can someone explain to me what a ESA85A form is please ?

ESA85 when youv'e had a face to face assesment ESA85A when you havent

thanks slipmaster for the reply this wouldnt be right for me i filled in the form esa50 2 week ago and got put in support group migrating from IB and IS,
    on my form is dates im on it from 23rd august to 23rd november (3 months) but when i rang the number on the letter (my jobcentre ) he said he ""THINKS" im on it for 3 years ?? so would i be right in asking for a form esa85A then ??
    i didnt have a medical, and see if that will explain anything to me ? like how long i will be on it before i get assessed again ? thanks

HIY ALL i filled in my esa50 and got a reply id been put in support group all with 2 weeks to the day i posted it, with no medical !!
    then phoned for a esa85a medical report form, and got it in just under 2 weeks !!
    on it it says no return to work in the longer term !!

but on the back it says ,,,, HARMFULL INFORMATION ,,NOT TO BE COPIED TO THE CLIENT ??????? WHOS THE CLIENT ??THEM OR ME ???

are things looking up for me ????

just the P I P test to get through now !! im on indefinate top rate dla for case and mobility, any one got an idea when i might be tested for that ?? thanks all for help given on this site

TOP DUDES ALL OF YOU XX

Quote Originally Posted by maggieomx View Post
    HIY ALL i filled in my esa50 and got a reply id been put in support group all with 2 weeks to the day i posted it, with no medical !!
    then phoned for a esa85a medical report form, and got it in just under 2 weeks !!
    on it it says no return to work in the longer term !!

but on the back it says ,,,, HARMFULL INFORMATION ,,NOT TO BE COPIED TO THE CLIENT ??????? WHOS THE CLIENT ??THEM OR ME ???

are things looking up for me ????

just the P I P test to get through now !! im on indefinate top rate dla for case and mobility, any one got an idea when i might be tested for that ?? thanks all for help given on this site

TOP DUDES ALL OF YOU XX
    Well done. PIP starts trialing next year in North West England. The DWP expect PIP to roll out nationwide between 2014-2016.

i read this on another site , i live in the north west but i get indefinate HIGH RATE DLA FOR BOTH so thought it might be 2014 ?????

Sorry, if it's elsewhere, but here's the latest PDF, from the DWP, re PIP.
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/personal-...yment-faqs.pdf

A few things that have changed, since the initial hysterical rhetoric by IDS and the boys:

1) Not everyone will need a face-to-face - those with chronic conditions, and supplying ample medical evidence, can be decided at 'paper review' level, as ESA is now. (Para 9 of the PDF). Anyone needing a face to face is apparantly going to get a home visit, thereby ending this problem with attending medical centres.

2) Initially it was announced that ALL claimants would be physically reviewed 'a lot' - it now seems there are three levels of awards - short (2-5 years), long (up to 10 years), and indefiniate of 10 years plus (the old life awards), and although they will get a letter periodically, checking that nothing has changed, they won't, necessarily be needed for review. (Para 10).

3) As with ESA now, most evidence (where possible) will be sought from the GP/consultant, instead of ATOS 'health care professionals'.

The intitial PILOT will only be in the North, (para 4)for NEW claimants from next April. Nationwide for NEW claimants (assuming the appeals system and DLA Unit isn't in meltdown), will be from October 2013.

Existing DLA claimants, not due for review, will not be started, at the earliest, until 2014.

The appeals system will remain as is, and they will modify criteria, if it shows that too many decisions are being overturned (as with ESA).

Mental health issues, including addictions, will be counted as 'needing support with everyday living'.

Pensionsers will not be considered until after 2016.

Children's awards will not be changed, at all.

The government have finally admitted that DLA has only risen (in cost) by a third, over the last 10 years, (as opposed to the silly figures the government gives to papers like the DM, when Dave is having a bad week................).

As it appears to be little change from DLA (other than abolishing low rate care/mobility), and they are still taking advice from disabled organisations, it might be less silly than first thought.