Thread: can anyone tell me more or less how my partner moving in with me will affect my esa?

can anyone tell me more or less how my partner moving in with me will affect my esa?

I am new here.
    I am a bit at my wits end as the ESA cant give me a straight answer. I dont need to know down to the nearest penny but just mor eor less how it might work. I am on ESA and DLA. My partner lives in scotland and is not yet on ESA although has just been sent the questionaire. We are talking about him moving in with me so we can support each other more easily. I spoke to the ESA folk and the said I would need a ESA3 form and he would be added onto my ESA. So more or less how will this work...how much will he get roughly. I am expecting us to be worse off overall but would just like to know if it going to be a big drop or a small one. I think due to the nature of his illness it is unlikely he wont get ESA but who knows.

I think my and his DLA will stay the same but I wonder if housing benefit is adjusted as well.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by consfused.com View Post
    I am new here.
    I am a bit at my wits end as the ESA cant give me a straight answer. I dont need to know down to the nearest penny but just mor eor less how it might work. I am on ESA and DLA. My partner lives in scotland and is not yet on ESA although has just been sent the questionaire. We are talking about him moving in with me so we can support each other more easily. I spoke to the ESA folk and the said I would need a ESA3 form and he would be added onto my ESA. So more or less how will this work...how much will he get roughly. I am expecting us to be worse off overall but would just like to know if it going to be a big drop or a small one. I think due to the nature of his illness it is unlikely he wont get ESA but who knows.

I think my and his DLA will stay the same but I wonder if housing benefit is adjusted as well.

I would be very grateful for any advice.
    Hello well congratulations if you plan to get together

I think you need to supply a bit more information first.

You both get DLA which isn't means tested so it won't make any difference when you live together.

If you both get the care component of DLA you might be able to claim Carer's Allowance for each other - a bonus!

Are you or your partner over or under 65?

Is anyone of you drawing a state pension? If yes you might be able to draw Pension Credit.

What type of ESA do you get - are you in the support group? Is your ESA 'Income related' or 'contribution based' (which only lasts 365 days) unless you're placed in the support group.

Your partner has applied for ESA - has he been working up until recently? Will he be drawing a private pension? Does he have savings? Is he selling his home or was he renting from a landlord?`Will he try to get a part time job?

Thank you Lightouch
    I am the same person as confused.com but when I tried to log in the second time it didnt let me even with a password they sent me so have re registered and hoping this one will work better.

Thank you for all that. Really kind of you. Yes claiming carers allowance for each other would be good but not sure it would be a bonus if I then lose the ESA as a result...or have I got that wrong?
    It is all a bit confusing.

I tried various websites where you plug in what you get and it tells you...well...what you get..I already know this but nobody seems able to tell me if we will be a lot worse off moving in together.

We both get high care component of DLA and low mobility. We are both in our fourties. I think the ESA I get is income related and I am in the support group.

My partner has not yet applied for ESA..he has the questionaire sitting on the desk slowly driving him more mad than he is already. No he has not been working. He had a breakdown several years ago and has not worked since. No it is not tennable for him to have a part time job just now, he has no savings and has been renting for tha past few years. He was pensioned out of work early around the time of his breakdown and he does get a private pension already of £250 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by fused.com View Post
    Thank you Lightouch
    I am the same person as confused.com but when I tried to log in the second time it didnt let me even with a password they sent me so have re registered and hoping this one will work better.

Thank you for all that. Really kind of you. Yes claiming carers allowance for each other would be good but not sure it would be a bonus if I then lose the ESA as a result...or have I got that wrong?
    It is all a bit confusing.

I tried various websites where you plug in what you get and it tells you...well...what you get..I already know this but nobody seems able to tell me if we will be a lot worse off moving in together.

We both get high care component of DLA and low mobility. We are both in our fourties. I think the ESA I get is income related and I am in the support group.

My partner has not yet applied for ESA..he has the questionaire sitting on the desk slowly driving him more mad than he is already. No he has not been working. He had a breakdown several years ago and has not worked since. No it is not tennable for him to have a part time job just now, he has no savings and has been renting for tha past few years. He was pensioned out of work early around the time of his breakdown and he does get a private pension already of £250 a month.
    You can claim ESA as a couple and get paid £111.45 a week.

You would also get a enhanced disability premium of £21.30 a week as high care DLA is paid to each of you.

Plus you would get a £58.20 a week Severe Disability Premium each because high care DLA is paid and no one is claiming carers allowance. Total £249.15 a week ESA plus the support component of £34.05 a week bring the total to £283 .20.

His private pension would be taken off the total ESA. He does not have to claim ESA as you can claim for the both of you.
    Last edited by Duncan; 07-19-2012 at 01:57 PM.