Thread: moving house while on income support

moving house while on income support

Hi,

I wondered if somebody would be able to offer me some advice, im currently on Income Support which i get for Agoraphobia/Depression and have been on for 7 years. I'm looking to move house to a new area, still in the same county (Lancashire) but a new town, about 20 miles approximately from where i currently live. I was just wondering if i would be required to make a whole new claim or would i just have to give my new address and my benefit would just carry on as normal.
    Really worrying about this at the moment and would appreciate any help.
    Many Thanks in advance for any replies.

Helen x

Hi Helen Good Morning.

From what i understand you can move and carry on getting the same benefits providing you have no change of circumstances? IE If you have suplus monies from selling a property? Rent/Council Tax are still paid if applicable? Best Advice i can give you but someone else may know better?

TD

I wont be selling a property because its rented where i live and i live with my mother so i dont recieve housing benefit or council tax benefit, i just get my Income Support and thats all so im hoping it will just be straightforward. I've read that if you move to a new town then you have to make a whole new claim which has concerned me but the information i read may be incorrect. Thanks for your reply

The easy way to find out is to ring the DWP helpline or contact Job Centre Plus.

Account deleted
    Joe mate I do not think we need a company rep giving advice which makes no sense at all and it's not your post.

Helen all you need do is give a change of address because your not moving out of the area or county, no need to to worry at all.

As been said so long as no changes to circumstances then your fine.

Your IS and other DWP claims will transfer BUT you will need to make new claims for Housing and Council Tax benefits.

If your move is on health grounds it may be possible to get an 'overlap' of HB if necessary. But you must make sure that your Local Authority - and the new Local Authority if applicable - are kept fully informed about your move. Never ever assume that the Local Authorities are informed of any change by the DWP - they aren't.

Also look into whether you might qualify for a Community Care Grant to help with the move.