Thread: Dental Costs / Fine situation, please help

Dental Costs / Fine situation, please help

hi, popped into local NHS dentist to ask if i could get treated / check up and if it would cost me, they said it would
    be for free as i was on ESA, so they asked for proof, i took esa proof, they signed me up, then i had some treatment, over 2 visits, at no charge.

Few weeks later recieved letter from nhs, routine check unable, so please send proof of esa and fill in questionnaire.
    totally forgot about this, was going to go to dentist to sort it out. then i get another letter from nhs, ie pentalty charge notice and fine, totalling a sum of over £300! if dont pay, debt recovery, county court, more charges.

So i go to my dentist with my paperwork, they say if im on esa its fine, there should be no costs and thats its between me and the nhs as dentist did not charge me, so i need to proov to them now. So im now so stressed and already got mental health problems and awaiting urgent psychiatrist help and on some strong medication...i dont how to deal with this.

I cant afford this cost, i only went to dentist as they said it was free to me.

looking at my esa paperwork and nhs letters, i think it might be to do with income based esa or contribution based.
    around the same time of dental treatment i was switched from one to another, i believe from contribution to income, but the switch over date was just after dental treatment, but surely the dentist would have checked this? i took some ESA paperwork with me to dentist and they inspected it and gave me the go ahead for free treatment.

the dentist has assured me, all esa claiments do not have to pay, twice now.

do i need to go to cab?
    debt advisor?

i dont know how to deal with this. i simply can not afford this Fee, i am in debt and cant even afford rent and food, im overdrawn, and on esa, unfit to work, no savings.

can anyone advise please? thankyou

davewhit
    there are twp types of ESA CB and IR IR gets help with dental care CB does not, you have been caught out in the purge of people getting treatment when they should pay heard items on Radio and TV also do a search they have been running stories in papers too

you can and should get expert advise but you have a debt because the treatment was carried out before the change from CB to IR

saga run an item http://www.saga.co.uk/money/best-dea...treatment.aspx

there is still one way you can try and get out see if you would have got it on low income

look at bottom of page regards low income

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.asp...CategoryID=742

Michelle,

i too got a letter from the NHS with regards to a prescription and i sought advice from the prescription line. you basically need to get a photo copy of your entitlement to ESA and any other relevant benefits then send them to the address shown on the NHS letter, don't ring them as this won't count.

As Dave says also get advice debt advice as they may well be able to deal with this when you go, take some proof of benefits though and don't delay.

Certainly does scare you when this happens but is easy to sort out once you have had advice and help.

mike

michelle44. If this dental treatment was within the last three months, you can fill in this HC1 form and apply for three months backdating for treatment you paid for. If more than three months ago, then you have to explain why it took you that long to apply.

You said the switch from contribution ESA to means tested ESA was in the period of you getting dental treatment. At least send proof of when income based ESA was awarded to the NHS as I would expect that to reduce the bill.

Here's a link to the form;

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts...1_Scotland.pdf

scroll down to the last page for details on backdating.

Thankyou all.
    Cab are helping me, CAB contacted NHS, and it was suggested by NHS that I appeal this charge/fine, by getting a letter to support my case from my GP, stating im not well, with mental health difficulties and so therefore was unable to determine the diff between the diff types of ESA and what dental fees were relevant in my case when dealing with dentist,

dentist still seems to think i shouldnt have to pay,

so im going to send various esa paperwork /letters to NHS, explain the situation, proove my illnesses/treatments,
    along with doctors letter. send it all off to NHS, see if they can reconsider.

just wondering, what do i need to tell doctor to write exactly? situations like this, i thikn the wording is important,
    just want to make sure my gp writes a suitable letter in my favour. I think this letter will cost me too, GP charges for stuff
    like this i believe.

thanks.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle44 View Post
    Thankyou all.
    Cab are helping me, CAB contacted NHS, and it was suggested by NHS that I appeal this charge/fine, by getting a letter to support my case from my GP, stating im not well, with mental health difficulties and so therefore was unable to determine the diff between the diff types of ESA and what dental fees were relevant in my case when dealing with dentist,

dentist still seems to think i shouldnt have to pay,

so im going to send various esa paperwork /letters to NHS, explain the situation, proove my illnesses/treatments,
    along with doctors letter. send it all off to NHS, see if they can reconsider.

just wondering, what do i need to tell doctor to write exactly? situations like this, i thikn the wording is important,
    just want to make sure my gp writes a suitable letter in my favour. I think this letter will cost me too, GP charges for stuff
    like this i believe.

thanks.
    your gp would have to write along the lines your easily confused and have problems dealing with forms could even part blame medication

your dentist IMO should write a letter too given his part in this matter