Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprised - New ESA claim, put in support group without medical

Surprised - New ESA claim, put in support group without medical

Hi everyone

Am new to this site and have been reading lots of posts to see if anyone in same position as me. Have made a new claim (meaning I've not transferred from any other benefit) for ESA and after reading so many horror stories about how difficult ATOS make it for claimants I was expecting a horrible intrusive medical and then to be refused ESA. But, to my amazement I've rec'd a letter from JobCentre saying a recent change to my claim is being made because 'a decision on your capability for work. You have been placed in the Support Group. You meet the eligibility criteria for Support Group. This means you are not required to part in any any work related activity .....' I was so disbelieving of this letter that I immediately called the JC for confirmation and was told that although most people do have to go for medicals
    some people don't if the information on the form is enough and that they also took into account a letter from my pyschiatric doctor when making the decision (based on my severe mental health issues). But ....... I still can't believe I've been so lucky and not had to go through the distress of a medical and having someone judge me and am expecting them to retract their decision and say they've made a mistake. I was told that a note has been placed on my claim to have a look at it again in 12 months. I'm on CB ESA. Has anyone else been in the same situation and does that mean I DEFINITELY won't need to go for a medical for at least 12 months or can I be called at any time in the future to be re-assessed at their whim? Do they every make mistakes and retract their decisions? If I stay on CB ESA support group, will they contact me regularly to see what I'm doing or will they just leave me alone? Their letter didn't even inform me that I no longer need to send any more sick-notes to them, I discovered this by reading online information.

I'm sure you understand how very very relieved I am, but still scared I'll get dragged into the ATOS offices for a medical.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling. Please don't suggest I call them for further information. I'm too scared to ring the JC and ask too many questions in case they see they've made a mistake - which my endless questions may bring to their attention. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

That's great news

I do wish people would stop using abbreviated words if you consider it"s worth writing in then for goodness sake write in full.

If it is a twelve month review they will not recall you until then,or maybe even later your doctor has made your case.

Richard: Thank you for your comment.
    parrots: "I do wish people would stop using abbreviated words if you consider it"s worth writing in then for goodness sake write in full." I can see I've rattled your cage; if you'd care to let me know which abbreviations you can't work out then I'll respond asap (oops, shouldn't have abbreviated that, it means 'as soon as possible'. However, I'm sure you're clever enough to work them out yourself, I don't think it was TOO difficult for you!! Thanks, BTW, for informing me that I won't get recalled before my 12 month review comes up. I appreciate you took the time and effort to respond to my poorly abbreviated post and I consider myself well and truly reprimanded!!! Perhaps I may take this opportunity to suggest you make more of an effort with your punctuation.

It always seems a little crass to say good news because it's like saying congratulations on being so ill.
    Anyway I thought your post was articulate for someone so DWP officially bonkers (joke).
    I should think about reviews when/if you get a review letter.
    All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    It always seems a little crass to say good news because it's like saying congratulations on being so ill.
    Anyway I thought your post was articulate for someone so DWP officially bonkers (joke).
    I should think about reviews when/if you get a review letter.
    All the best.
    Thanks, your reply made me giggle, which is good as I have a tendency to think far too deeply about things and am always being told to ‘lighten up’ or ‘chillax’. I’ve already whipped myself into such a frenzy, trying to analyse what’s going to happen and try to prepare myself for the worst case scenario. Part of the illness, I suspect. But thanks for the joke about me being DWP officially bonkers!!! I shall take your advice and worry about any medical review if and when I get a letter.

Congratulations.
    You can asked how long your award is for. My ESA support group award was for 3 years apparently that's the longest time they give before a review.

Oh dear I see the SUN is affecting some people

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Oh dear I see the SUN is affecting some people
    Is that the newspaper or the weather?