Thread: hard of hearing/deaf people

hard of hearing/deaf people

hi folks
    just a quick question,my cousin is hard of hearing she has contacted dial about claiming dla, they said she can't claim it,is this true and also what else can she claim. she is not working and lives alone in a council hous.i assume she gets housing/council tax benefit.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    hi folks
    just a quick question,my cousin is hard of hearing she has contacted dial about claiming dla, they said she can't claim it,is this true and also what else can she claim. she is not working and lives alone in a council hous.i assume she gets housing/council tax benefit.
    no illness alone gets you DLA its the extra needs a person has caused by the illness
    if she has been told no dla by dial she should contact http://www.bda.org.uk/ see what they said

She may be eligible . . . check this link

http://www.housingcare.org/downloads/kbase/2704.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    hi folks
    She can claim DLA for help with communication due to deafness. It depends how deaf she is, how well she can speak and be understood, how good she is at reading and writing English.

Duncan is right. As well as communication problems there are likely to be personal safety issues related to hearing loss - not least when outdoors in noise and traffic.
    Much does depend on the level of hearing loss of course. Whether any hearing aids can be used - or used effectively - whether the person has learned sign language etc - and whether their literacy has been affected. But the annoying thing is that your cousin has been told that she can't claim. If they have based that advice on having a phone call from her which she could understand they should at least have asked if she was using a hearing loop. But whatever the reason for their advice no-one should be told that in my opinion without actually being seen in person.