Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is my DLA affected if i go back to work?

How is my DLA affected if i go back to work?

Hope i have posted this in the right place.

I am on high motability rate and low care rate. Have difficulty in walking, lifting and bending. Can't stand up for long. Have been suffering from depression the last few years and have gained weight and became diabetic. I need to do something to improve my life. Manage to sort myself out with a desk job. It will mean getting out of the house and meeting people and getting confidence in myself etc and hopefully my health will improve.

Does working affect my DLA? I assumed not but had read somewhere that it may affect the care allowance part. Like if i am getting high care rate it will drop down to middle or low. I assume the motability side will remain unaffected.

Can someone confirm please?

Just need to be prepared in case the brown envelope drops on my doormat :-(

As you know DLA isn't means tested so you can work and get both components tax free.

If you consider that your care needs haven't changed - fine.

Remember now you're working if you need any disability related support then it's up to you to self refer to Jobcentreplus 'Access to Work' to assess your workstation and any support you need to carry out your role.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabled...mes/dg_4000347

Congratulations and hope you enjoy your new role.

Thanks and also thanks about the info about access to work.

Just want to say congratulations on finding yourself a job in these difficult times. A real achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Thanks and also thanks about the info about access to work.
    You do have to tell DLA that you are starting work. DLA check that there has not been any improvement in your disabilities.

Starting work
    This shouldn't count as a change in circumstances in relation to DLA but you may wish to inform the office dealing with DLA (usually Blackpool), anyway.

- In addition bear in mind the following:

- If you receive benefits other than DLA and start work you must tell the DWP
    - If you receive housing benefit or Council tax benefit tell your local authority.
    - If you're considering starting work, try to get a copy of your DLA form and see whether the workyou are doing fits in with what you said on the form. If you will be doing things at work, without pain, difficulty, or help from another person, that you said you had difficulty doing, then you need to consider whether your condition has now improved.
    - If you will actually need more attention or supervision when you start work than you currently get, then it may be that you will be entitled to a higher rate of DLA.

As I had mentioned it is a desk job. There is no other activities involved. I feel this job is beyond me. Have not worked for a very long time but with family encouragement I am willing to give it a try. I simply can't refuse the job otherwise my JSA benefits will be stopped.

There has not been any improvement in my condition. I feel I might be struggling more by sitting upright on an office chair. At home I sit on a reclined chair.

If it's a desk job you might be lacking in confidence. Fear not 0 they will send you for training or you may shadow a more experienced person to show you the ropes.

Try to think positive, it will do your moral good. They may well ask you about the chair - you might ask if they have any ergonoic chairs to aid back comfort.

Think of it as a new challenge - one small step to a better future and independence.

Any misgivings just tell us - we're here to help.

Good luck.

Definitley call Access to Work ASAP it can take around 3 months to get an appointment with them, but definitely work it.

I'm in a desk job and wouldn't be sitting here now without their help: Fully adjustable chair, split keyboard, roller-ball mouse, time allowed for moving about (~every 45mins). All for free.

The help is there if you need it.

Also, working is not a change in (medical) circumstances.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 24,000 miles; avg 38.1mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

First of all thanks for the support. It means a lot.

Feel embarrassed that long time ago I was full of confidence and full of energy but now I am the opposite. I class myself a turtle who hides himself from the world. Or should that be an ostrich? Find myself not keen getting out of bed etc. You know the scenario.

I am hoping that this job will improve my confidence. True am scared but who isn't when starting work?

Thanks about the info about chair. I will see what the office chair is like and take it from there. May need a strong chair because I am wide and obese.
    Last edited by wazza; 07-31-2012 at 07:32 AM.