Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobseekers Allowance/Working

Jobseekers Allowance/Working

When your in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance i was told that you can sign on and that your allowed to work for a max of 16hours a week but i how can you earn before it effects your jobseekers allowance.

I was told that you can earn either 100. pound or 150.00 before it effects your benefit.

Please any advise would be great.

Put it this way I am sure if u were able to earn that much you would not need job seekers...or may be I am wrong....seems a lot to me...and if they can afford that much why are they picking on the disabled for there miserly amounts.

There are plans to increase the amount you can earn while on benefits in the future, and get to keep more of it! according to IDS, sorry ian duncan smith, but i don't think you can earn anything like you quote without it reducing benefits. Someone may know the exact figures but i'm sure they are on the you gov. or dwp site.

no you cannot do any paid work ,on christmas eve my son was offered 4 hours work through an agency he went into job centre and was told yes he could do it but he had to supply the wage slip and this amount was taken out of his jobseekers and because the agency took ages to send it he had no job seekers for almost 1 month so you can do it but it will be for nothing, but if theres a chance of getting a full time job it may be worth doing.

I thought not..sorry if my tone was a bit grumpy, it was not aimed at you but this stupid wicked government....xxxx

Account deleted
    If your on IB you can work for 15 hours (16) but you can only earn a certain amount, as far as I'm aware if your on JSA any work you do will affect your money, because it's means tested

My son was told by the idiot in JC+ that he could work up to five hours per week without it affecting his JSA. One week he did six hours, and another week about ten, and declared them, which reduced his JSA for those weeks. Took about 3 weeks each time for them to work out how much JSA to withhold, during which time he didn't receive any.

When his hours went up permanenetly a few weeks later, he stopped claiming JSA.

About three months later, got a letter from a DWP "investigator". They said that the rule was five pounds and not five hours. They had copies of all of his payslips from his part time job. Had to repay most of the JSA for the whole period. Fair enough, if those are the rules. Then they gave him the choice of either going to court charged with a criminal offence of "receiving money by deception" (fraud) or adding a 30% administrative penalty to the debt. Still paying it off.

Turns out that they only knew about it because he was honest and declared the weeks he went over five hours, then they decided to press further.

To rub salt into the wounds, he left that job for a full time one, which didn't work out. He reapplied for the old one, and the manager wanted to take him on, but HR wouldn't allow it because they had needed to spend time dealing with DWP.

Hi, just thought id add valuable information to this thread.

I myself claim JSA. I have been offered some part time work. So, i have just got off the phone to the Job Centre Plus helpline. They have told me i am allowed to earn and work whilst on JSA and this is how it works out....

The first 20.00 is not deductable. This means i am allowed to earn up to 20.00 a week without JSA taking any money from my my benefit. So if i were to earn 31.00 a week they would deduct 11.00 from my weekly benefit.

If i was to earn OVER 91.00 a week then my JSA claim would end.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion for others wanting to work whilst claiming JSA.

Richard.

Any money i earn OVER 20 will be deducted from my JSA on a pound for pound basis. So, i i earn 31.00

Heres hoping this is the correct and most upto date information ^^^^