Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP qualifying is harder than DLA

PIP qualifying is harder than DLA

Personal Independence Payment is a new benefit for people who have problems getting around out of doors, or who need personal care, supervision or support, due to a disability. Personal Independence Payment will be introduced in the spring and summer of 2013 and will replace Disability Living Allowance for people of working age.

Is this test harder than the one for DLA?

In some ways the test is harder to pass than the equivalent
    tests for the care and mobility components of Disability Living
    Allowance. The DWP estimates that about 500,000 people
    who currently get DLA will fail to get any award of PIP. Many
    others will get an award, but at a lower rate than their current
    DLA award. Some may get more than they currently receive.
    Quote taken from http://www.durham.gov.uk (link)

As if life is not hard enough already.

I have just read some of the proposed descriptors for PIP and it scares me.
    There will be so many people who currently get DLA including those on the higher rates that will no longer qualify.
    The proposed descriptors do not appear (I may be wrong) to account for the pain and discomfort that is caused by the activities.
    I can not see any mention of "pain" or "discomfort" in the proposed descriptors.

My own future claim for PIP would be based on my own pain and discomfort.
    Yes I can walk 50 yards/200 yards; (how else do I get to the doctors surgery or go to the supermarket?) but it is the amount of pain and discomfort that I am in 24 hours a day that is my real problem. Walking is very painful and the further I walk the more pain I am in and the less mobile I become until I have to stop and give up as I can not physically move any further. Yes I can walk 50 yards/200 yards but how long does it take me and how much pain and discomfort am I in?
    This will no longer be taken in to account and that concerns me.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1959 View Post
    I have just read some of the proposed descriptors for PIP and it scares me.
    There will be so many people who currently get DLA including those on the higher rates that will no longer qualify.
    The proposed descriptors do not appear (I may be wrong) to account for the pain and discomfort that is caused by the activities.
    I can not see any mention of "pain" or "discomfort" in the proposed descriptors.

My own future claim for PIP would be based on my own pain and discomfort.
    Yes I can walk 50 yards/200 yards; (how else do I get to the doctors surgery or go to the supermarket?) but it is the amount of pain and discomfort that I am in 24 hours a day that is my real problem. Walking is very painful and the further I walk the more pain I am in and the less mobile I become until I have to stop and give up as I can not physically move any further. Yes I can walk 50 yards/200 yards but how long does it take me and how much pain and discomfort am I in?
    This will no longer be taken in to account and that concerns me.
    With regards PIP no secrect has been made of the fact its going to be harder to get, and the fact they want 20% less people to get PIP than get DLA

I get higher mobility and middle care indef from the reading I have done I think I will get lower mobility higher care on PIP

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    With regards PIP no secrect has been made of the fact its going to be harder to get, and the fact they want 20% less people to get PIP than get DLA
    Thanks for the reply Dave.

I think 20% is a little low and I can see something closer to 50% or higher than 50% will no longer qualify.
    I need help in getting around and need a vehicle (whether driven by myself or someone else) to get to places, doctors, chemist, supermarket, visiting my elderly mother etc.. not qualifying for PIP would make me more dependent on others and more of a burden to society.
    Like yourself I do not think I would qualify under the descriptors for the enhanced PIP rate and therefore not qualify for a car under the Motability Scheme (if it continues). The use of a car under the Motability Scheme makes me more independent and less of a burden to others. I can visit my doctors more regularly and at times that I need to and also have more of a social life by visiting family and friends and not rely on others to take me places.
    I have already lost my DLA and therefore my Motability Scheme car back in January this year and I am still awaiting the appeal date.
    I am currently a prisoner in my own home and totally dependant on others to take me places. I needed to see a doctor over a week ago but had to make the appointment for tomorrow as this was more convenient for someone to take me there.

It would of been far easier and more cost effective if the government requested medical support from the GPs from those who are claiming DLA. All those that are doubful (I'm thinking of those that have nothing wrong with them but know the system and are milking it) should provide hard medical evidence for their condition, MRI scans, dates of operations, psychiatric reports etc.. and if they are unable to provide those then do a full medical assessment by fully qualified experts and not Atos nurses. This would of stopped a good percentage of claims by sorting out the scroungers from those who are genuine disabled and saved the government and tax payers £millions every year.

I know I should not make assumptions but ..
    Example 1.
    I was watching a guy who lives down the street from me (I do not know him) but he has a new car on the Motability Scheme. He was carrying a pushchair and did not appear to be struggling and placed it in the boot of his new car. A piece of wood fell out in the process and he bent down, again without problems, and picked it up and placed that in the boot of his car. I have observed him walking (through my window) and can not see any difficulties, he does not have a limp or even use a walking stick.

Example 2.
    Another old neighbour of my mother's, again claiming DLA, told his son to run in the house and get his walking stick as he has to go to "that place" today. I saw him the following week lifting old paving/patio slabs and casually placing then in the boot of his car to take to the local tip/recycling centre.

Example 3.
    We see these on the news.
    Man claiming DLA/IB and playing football for a sunday league team.
    Lady claiming DLA/IB and running a marathon for charity.

How many other people are falsely claiming benefits 10%, 20%, 30% ....?
    Sort these out and the government target will be met and possibly exceeded.
    Last edited by Stephen1959; 09-30-2012 at 01:36 PM.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1959 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dave.

I think 20% is a little low and I can see something closer to 50% or .
    20% is the amount listed in all DWP documents that set out Pip the 20% is amounted of cash spent on DLA so thats more than 20% of the people getting DLA

This government would save the lot if it thought it could get away with it.

Cameron said in the Houses of Commons a few weeks ago that he wasnt cutting disabled peoples support, yet he his. He is a absolute liar.

There is no point in worrying about it do your research and try to find out this and that about PIP . However wyhen it finally arrives they could have moved the goal posts yet again or changed this and that . My philosophy on the matter is that until the form lands on the door mat no one knows 100% what it is really going to be asking . Therefore it's a cross that bridge ,wade the river or hire a boat when I/we come to it .

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    There is no point in worrying about it do your research and try to find out this and that about PIP . However wyhen it finally arrives they could have moved the goal posts yet again or changed this and that . My philosophy on the matter is that until the form lands on the door mat no one knows 100% what it is really going to be asking . Therefore it's a cross that bridge ,wade the river or hire a boat when I/we come to it .
    I absolutely agree stig. I think it may just be an english thing to worry about stuff when there's no need.
    stephen1959,
    You site cases of "apparent" fraud, but this is why PIP has been made harder to stop this.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I absolutely agree stig. I think it may just be an english thing to worry about stuff when there's no need.
    stephen1959,
    You site cases of "apparent" fraud, but this is why PIP has been made harder to stop this.
    i dont think DLA was never easy to claim, but a couple of improvements may have made it the benefit it should be, things like having to be medicaly assessed.
    improving DLA would have costed alot less than bringing a whole new benefit and with the right improvements it would then root out that minority of benefit frauds thos saving millions on tax payer money.

i say it isnt easy as i can confirm myself.
    i have stage 3 of hidradenitis suppurativa, a skin condition that causes abcesses in the armpits, groins and bottom, it is a very common skin problem that alot of people get and has no cure, its extremly painfull when walking or moving arms, needs dressings at least once a day with days needing 2 or 3 and i need a wheelchair to move confortably without pain even knowing i can move my legs, they said im not entitled to it and i now have a tribunal date for late this month, so it isnt that easy to claim DLA, maybe if i have had an assessment i would have got it without all this trouble, i applied jan last year and only now i got a date for tribunal so 18 months waiting to find out what help i can get. and yes i have sent medical letters from different doctors stating my condition and trouble i have to no avail....