Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time limit on esa will be 2 years?

Time limit on esa will be 2 years?

My apologies to treborc, who has already mentioned this, but as he says, the initial plans to limit esa to 1 year may be changed to 2 years, i would have posted this on the thread it was mentioned on, but i think it may have been missed, had i done so.

So the question is, how far have the Government and the labour party got with this?, is it going to happen?, and where can we find the information, if it is? Thanks for any relevant info.,

Regards, Jan

Account deleted
    HM Treasury (National)

Time limiting the contributory Employment Support Allowance (ESA) to 1 year for those in Work Related Activity Group
    ESA is a benefit for those who are unable to work because of a disability or health condition. An individual on ESA can receive between £91 and £97 per week, depending on the severity of their disability. ESA can be paid on a contributory or an income-related basis, and there are currently no limits on how long people can receive the benefit.

This new proposal will time limit claims to contributory ESA for those in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) to one year.

The measure will not affect anyone in the Support Group which includes the terminally ill, those on certain types of chemotherapy or those with severe limitations.

Around 1 million claimants will be affected.
    £2.0 billion per

Now then thats from the governments own web site.

Changes

As I said maybe, thats because in a debate the Tories Minister for the DWP (IDS) said they were reviewing this decision and may well return it to it original time period.

When will we know could be on Budget day, once they have gone through the review period or debat or what ever they call this now.

I suspect we will find out soon

Thanks for that treborc, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    HM Treasury (National)

Time limiting the contributory Employment Support Allowance (ESA) to 1 year for those in Work Related Activity Group
    ESA is a benefit for those who are unable to work because of a disability or health condition. An individual on ESA can receive between £91 and £97 per week, depending on the severity of their disability. ESA can be paid on a contributory or an income-related basis, and there are currently no limits on how long people can receive the benefit.

This new proposal will time limit claims to contributory ESA for those in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) to one year.

The measure will not affect anyone in the Support Group which includes the terminally ill, those on certain types of chemotherapy or those with severe limitations.

Around 1 million claimants will be affected.
    £2.0 billion per

Now then thats from the governments own web site.

Changes

As I said maybe, thats because in a debate the Tories Minister for the DWP (IDS) said they were reviewing this decision and may well return it to it original time period.

When will we know could be on Budget day, once they have gone through the review period or debat or what ever they call this now.

I suspect we will find out soon
    When you say that IDS said they may well return it to the oeriginal time period, does this mean indefinitely?

It should be indefinitely, any time limit is unfair and arbitrary.

Account deleted
    Sadly two years.

Hi,
    I am new here, so apologies if I ramble...
    From what I can gather, if you are placed in the 'work group' it acknowledges that you have an illness or disability that makes you currently unable to work. During the year that you are in this group, you will be assigned an adviser who you will see 6 times. (initial meeting and five other 'back to work' appointments). When the year is at a close, you will attend another medical. This med report will be used to decide if you can return to work or not. It is the medical reporting that is to blame (if you like), for the DWP decisions. Please, if you have a medical and are remotely unhappy with decision, make sure that you obtain a copy of the report for yourself - they are frequently contentious and [in my experience] it does not matter what information or evidence you submit, the DM will abide by the
    'Expert' opinion... It is this opinion that you need to disprove.
    Last edited by meelee; 03-13-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meelee View Post
    Hi,
    I am new here, so apologies if I ramble...
    From what I can gather, if you are placed in the 'work group' it acknowledges that you have an illness or disability that makes you currently unable to work. During the year that you are in this group, you will be assigned an adviser who you will see 6 times. (initial meeting and five other 'back to work' appointments). When the year is at a close, you will attend another medical. This med report will be used to decide if you can return to work or not. It is the medical reporting that is to blame (if you like), for the DWP decisions. Please, if you have a medical and are remotely unhappy with decision, make sure that you obtain a copy of the report for yourself - they are frequently contentious and [in my experience] it does not matter what information or evidence you submit, the DM will abide by the
    'Expert' opinion... It is this opinion that you need to disprove.
    What i was originally talking about when i started this thread were the plans, in the welfare reform bill, going through parlament now, to limit esa to 12 months, and subsequent discussions to perhaps make this period 2 years.

People who have been receiving contribution based IB for many years, if they are not placed in the support group of esa when transfered, will only receive esa for 1 year and after this time they will receive nothing if they have a working partner/savings.I was trying to establish if this may be increased to 2 years before it becomes law.This would be a slightly better position to be in, although it would still mean that many people who have been sick/disabled for many years, would still end up without any benefit, when this time expired.

Regards, Jan
    Last edited by saintjanet; 03-13-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Well put Jan xx

Quote Originally Posted by belvederebabe View Post
    Well put Jan xx
    Thanks Sue, one thing i find a bit disturbing is how many people are unaware of these plans, someone on another thread recently said they had scored x points in the "on screen" test for esa and again did not seem to realise that if you are not in the support group, that the 12 month/ 2 year limit will apply.

If people who are sick are unaware of these potential changes, what hope is there of the general public being aware or concerned? IDS said in the debate last week, that under his initial plans, people on esa will receive it for twice as long as job seekers who only get 6 months, and that it was never intended to be a long term benefit, as if this justified his plans! this may be ok for someone, who will recover from say a broken leg, but as we keep saying, it's no use to a long term sick or disabled person

Regards Jan xxx
    Last edited by saintjanet; 03-13-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Hi Jan...I know I just can't seem to get people to see what this means to them...I have been posting stuff on my Face Book giving links to press cutting... i have even tried to make people who think we are all scroungers or who just don't understand what this means to them that it COULD effect them in the future... it is the end for anyone who is ill for longer than a year who is not deemed ill enough to go in to the support group.I tried telling my sister who has paid NI stamps for 40 years." if you become ill or disabled this WILL effect you and everyone else....as far as talking to people who get means tested benefits I might as well drink from a chocolate tea pot..it does not effect them so they don't care ....I am so angry.....ABC has set me up to send private messages...just make a post under mine..asking if you can do so..I am swampiesue on there....and we might be half way to being able to talk to each other privately ...only trouble is I forgot off hand what that post is under...ruddy memory so frustating lol xxxxxxxx