Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are mud flaps necessary?

Are mud flaps necessary?

Strange question, I know. But I was a little surprised to see they are an optional extra on the Qashqai. I remember the days when they came as part and parcel of a car. Have things changed? Are they now unnecesary and just a personal choice regarding the appearance of the vehicle? Or do I need to dig that little deeper and opt for them?

Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    Strange question, I know. But I was a little surprised to see they are an optional extra on the Qashqai. I remember the days when they came as part and parcel of a car. Have things changed? Are they now unnecesary and just a personal choice regarding the appearance of the vehicle? Or do I need to dig that little deeper and opt for them?
    I wouldnt bother with mud flaps, I never have. If you live in the country and do a lot of driving on muddy roads then they may be useful, if not, then no.

Interesting point.
    Although they have always been called mud flaps the main function nowadays is to reduce spray in heavy rain and front flaps would reduce mud collecting on the underside. There are flaps in front of the rear wheels ( not sure why) but that's it. So I guess it comes down to how much off roading you do and how much motorway driving in heavy rain to warrant extra cost ( oh and looks of course)

Ok, thanks for the comments they're very helpful. Whilst I live in the country, long gone are the days when I'd average over a thousand miles a week. I'll probably give them a miss, particularly as it's about 100 for them.

Ok, thanks for the comments they're very helpful. Whilst I live in the country, long gone are the days when I'd average over a thousand miles a week. I'll probably give them a miss, particularly as it's about 100 for them.
    I looked at other cars after your question and saw that hardly any cars today have mud flaps.

As I remember things like mud flaps, car mats, car tax or a full tank of petrol were the sort of bargaining items you'd request just before signing on the dotted line of a car purchase. Dealers would throw these in rather than lose a sale . . . not sure it works with lease hire contracts but you could try!

not really needed

South of Brum, East of Cardiff, North of Paris
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    As I remember things like mud flaps, car mats, car tax or a full tank of petrol were the sort of bargaining items you'd request just before signing on the dotted line of a car purchase. Dealers would throw these in rather than lose a sale . . . not sure it works with lease hire contracts but you could try!
    There is very little money in a Mobility lease for the garage to be able to afford to throw things in for free.

Mud flaps - no not any more, cars are built in a totally different way now - gone has the 'box chassis' and thin unprotected steel that made up the rear wheel arches.

At one time even a car being undersealed against rust was an optional extra!!

maybe get someone or company to sponser mud flaps

you can get them cheaper off ebay, and they're very usefull and they reduce the spray that goes to the back window, we dont have them on our qashqai but we will have them fitted on the next one we get, it will save me having to wash the back window so often while driving along in heavy rain.