Thread: ESA stopped

ESA stopped

Hello got a letter on 28th nov, saying my esa had been stopped from 20th September When I phoned up they told me it was because they had not heard from me since March 2012. Got a call back saying it was because I had not phoned them about a change of address which took place on 26th Sept. I did phone to let them know and called in to the Jobcentre to let them know. Husband didn`t realise my esa had stopped going in to the bank . My DLA was still paid. I have phoned them now and am awaiting a call to tell me a rapid reinstatement will be put in place and all back dated monies paid. I hope this is true, but wondered if anyone else realised that in some circumstances DWP don`t appear to swap change of address between departments.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfiessam View Post
    Hello got a letter on 28th nov, saying my esa had been stopped from 20th September When I phoned up they told me it was because they had not heard from me since March 2012. Got a call back saying it was because I had not phoned them about a change of address which took place on 26th Sept. I did phone to let them know and called in to the Jobcentre to let them know. Husband didn`t realise my esa had stopped going in to the bank . My DLA was still paid. I have phoned them now and am awaiting a call to tell me a rapid reinstatement will be put in place and all back dated monies paid. I hope this is true, but wondered if anyone else realised that in some circumstances DWP don`t appear to swap change of address between departments.
    you need to put important stuff in writing and send registered to prove you did it, there could be a gap before they start paying you again and pay you the back dated money they owe you they are not the fastest when they come to paying money they owe.

South of Brum, East of Cardiff, North of Paris
    Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    you need to put important stuff in writing and send registered to prove you did it, there could be a gap before they start paying you again and pay you the back dated money they owe you they are not the fastest when they come to paying money they owe.
    I agree with you - you have to go that extra mile where the DWP are involved!

Mind you even doing that is no guarantee that they will actually do anything about it. I changed address back in Jan 03 and notified everyone. Had an ATOS medical in Jan 04 and everything ATOS did, they used the new address.

The DWP sent out the failure letter in June 04 to the OLD ADDRESS!!! I complained and again they sent out another decsion letter to the OLD ADDRESS!!!!

Having never formally received the decision notice I couldn't very well appeal against it. Obviously I knew that I had lost as the money stopped arriving.

In 2011 I challenged that decision (the one I was never notified of) and submitted evidence, The DWP agreed with me that my money should never have been stopped in 2004 and in Dec 2011 they awarded it to me covering the period Jan 2004 to Jan 2014.

However winning is one thing, due to the rules on backdating benefit arrears to 3 months - I have lost out on over £18,000 of benefit payments!

So just because you tell the DWP the new address, they can still manage to cock it up big time!
    Last edited by doberg; 12-03-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Hi no phone call to confirm reinstatement of Esa so I phoned them. They say they canot reinstate my ESA and I have to make a new claim. I cannot believe that I have to go through all the rigmarole again to claim for contributory ESA that wil stop in May 2013. The guy I spoke to said they may just use the evidence they already have from earlier this year but somehow I don`t think so. I thought there were rules which linked claims without going through the process again. I am so mad. I told them about the change of address and they took no notice for the ESA they did change it for my DLA. Does anyone know if I can appeal or complain

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiessam View Post
    Hi no phone call to confirm reinstatement of Esa so I phoned them. They say they canot reinstate my ESA and I have to make a new claim. I cannot believe that I have to go through all the rigmarole again to claim for contributory ESA that wil stop in May 2013. The guy I spoke to said they may just use the evidence they already have from earlier this year but somehow I don`t think so. I thought there were rules which linked claims without going through the process again. I am so mad. I told them about the change of address and they took no notice for the ESA they did change it for my DLA. Does anyone know if I can appeal or complain
    If your husband gets carers allowance for you, I recommend he claims Income Support as a carer. You will get a bit more money and not be hassled by ESA.