Thread: Help with Housing costs (Form MI12)

Help with Housing costs (Form MI12)

Hello, I was put on to Job Seekers Allowance a couple of months ago after losing an appeal.
    Any way I hadn't been paid any JSA since beginning of November so I phoned Job Centre Plus up to find out what was going on. They mentioned that I had told Job Centre (JC) that I had made a claim on mortgage insurance. I explained that when I had seen somebody at JC I had made a mistake and I had actually made a claim on critical illness not mortgage insurance. They said not to worry and it would be rectified.

I got home a hour later and there was a message on the phone to ring them back. They mentioned that I hadn't sent in the Help with Housing cost form (MI12) which I explained I hadn't been given one. They've now sent me a new form to fill in and quite frankly I am confused. First of all is it compulsory to fill it in and send it off? I know that they could help with mortgage costs but if I didn't fill it in would they not pay me any JSA? Secondly it is so confusing (I have fibromyalgia so most things are confusing) I know I have to fill in parts 1-6 and my lender pays in parts 7-8 but if I send a letter with the form would the lender fill in the parts of 1-6 I'm unsure of?

South of Brum, East of Cardiff, North of Paris
    Quote Originally Posted by willibobs71 View Post
    Hello, I was put on to Job Seekers Allowance a couple of months ago after losing an appeal.
    Any way I hadn't been paid any JSA since beginning of November so I phoned Job Centre Plus up to find out what was going on. They mentioned that I had told Job Centre (JC) that I had made a claim on mortgage insurance. I explained that when I had seen somebody at JC I had made a mistake and I had actually made a claim on critical illness not mortgage insurance. They said not to worry and it would be rectified.

I got home a hour later and there was a message on the phone to ring them back. They mentioned that I hadn't sent in the Help with Housing cost form (MI12) which I explained I hadn't been given one. They've now sent me a new form to fill in and quite frankly I am confused. First of all is it compulsory to fill it in and send it off? I know that they could help with mortgage costs but if I didn't fill it in would they not pay me any JSA? Secondly it is so confusing (I have fibromyalgia so most things are confusing) I know I have to fill in parts 1-6 and my lender pays in parts 7-8 but if I send a letter with the form would the lender fill in the parts of 1-6 I'm unsure of?
    You just fill in the parts that you are able to answer.

Be aware, the DWP are well known for losing these and other important documents. Unfortunately the MI12 is the only one that you physically cannot control how or when it is returned to the DWP. Once you send it to your bank that's it!

However if the form is lost, not delivered or not even returned by the bank - you are the one that will lose out.

I am aware of one case where over a period of 10 months, 3 MI12's were sent to the bank as the first 2 had just disappeared. When eventually the 3rd form was received by the DWP some 13 months after the first one had been sent to the bank they would not pay any mortgage interest back any further than 8 weeks. All the DWP would say is that it is up to the claimant to ensure that the bank return the form immediately.

Get all your mortgage details together and the form and book an appointment with CAB or welfare rights they will/should help you fill in the form

Thank you for the replies. Regarding the MI12 form being lost, will this affect any JSA I receive? By this I mean will they still pay my current JSA? I don't really want to be waiting for the forms to be dealt with before I am to receive any of my JSA.

Thank you for the replies. Regarding the MI12 form being lost, will this affect any JSA I receive? By this I mean will they still pay my current JSA? I don't really want to be waiting for the forms to be dealt with before I am to receive any of my JSA.
    You're JSA is likely to be means tested so any critical Illness pension you get is taken into account. You're JSA is 71 a week for single adult plus weekly housing costs based on 6.36% interest rate. the critical illness payment is taken off and you get paid any ESA that is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    You're JSA is likely to be means tested so any critical Illness pension you get is taken into account. You're JSA is 71 a week for single adult plus weekly housing costs based on 6.36% interest rate. the critical illness payment is taken off and you get paid any ESA that is left.
    It is 3.63% that the DWP pay, not 6.36%!

They brought it down to that level a while ago as most people have mortgages that charge much less than the old 6% rate. Very few have mortgages over 4% at the moment.
    Last edited by doberg; 12-14-2012 at 01:36 PM.

No you will still receive your JSA payments. I was simply referring to the mortgage interest element. The DWP will not backdate any mortgage help beyond 8 weeks even if you put the claim in months earlier or the reason for the late arrival of the MI12 by the DWP had nothing to do with you.

The worst case I have come across was a delay of 14 months from when the MI12 was sent to the bank and to when the DWP received it back from the bank. The bank were clearly at fault but all the DWP would pay was 8 weeks backdated from the date they eventually received the MI12 from the bank.

The DWP's response was for the claimant to sue the bank for the difference - 12 months lost = 3630!!!!

Thank you for the replies. I am more concerned that I haven't been paid JSA since beginning of November. As I mentioned in my first post I mistakenly informed them I'd been paid on Mortgage Insurance which I contacted Job Centre Plus (JCP) and informed them it was actually Critical illness cover. I notified JCP who did say they would make a note and it shouldn't affect my current JSA.
    I am presuming that the MI12 form isn't a compulary thing? We have been filling it in but after reading what's been said so far about the forms being lost I am starting to wonder if it is worth the hassle.