Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordering a new car and PIP

Ordering a new car and PIP

Hi guys, my first post here, I'm a regular reader but not much of a poster in forums.

My current motability lease is due to expire in April.

I'm pretty certain that I will not qualify for higher rate mobility PIP (although, I may be better off because at the moment I get Lower rate care and looking at new guidelines, I'd qualify for higher rate care) so I need to decide whether or not I have time for one last car on the scheme.

What do you guys think?

According to DWP (http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/personal-...yment-faqs.pdf), the re-aapplication process will begin in October 2015 so then I can have one more 3 year lease. How safe are the dates provided by DWP?

Thanks

Account deleted
    if you have an indefinate award you will be asked to apply for pip from oct2015-dec2017. the dates may change and if the government changes it could all change. if you want to buy the car after 3 years work out what its likely to be worth. an astra and golf cost the same to buy new and similar prices on motability but one will cost £8-9000 in 3 years and the other £11-12000

I have just ordered my car and get it on 9th March.I can't be with out so i bit the bullet and will see what happens.
    I too think that i will loose my HRM but i will fight them tooth and nail as i will be housebound without a car.

Account deleted
    lots will lose out when pip comes in.

I don't really mind about the value of the car at the end of the three years as I will just go on to lease a car privately perhaps.

I was just making sure that I will get another full 3 years on a car.

Out of interest, whats the easiest way for me to find out when I'm due to change cars exactly...

Account deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by joestotes View Post
    I don't really mind about the value of the car at the end of the three years as I will just go on to lease a car privately perhaps.

I was just making sure that I will get another full 3 years on a car.

Out of interest, whats the easiest way for me to find out when I'm due to change cars exactly...
    you can call motability to ask. if you get assessed in oct2015 you wont get full 3 years but will get pro rata refund of any ap

Quote Originally Posted by joestotes View Post
    Yep call Motability or find your current contract paperwork and add 3 years to the delivery date of your current car.

If your contract is due for renewal in April then expect your letter sometime in the next few weeks - You will then have 3 months to decide on either changing to a new car or going private.

You can order your new car anytime within the 3 month period - I waited until 2 weeks before my date and got an extension on my previous lease until the new car was ready for collection. My current contract runs out in May 2015, which means we are in a similar situation, I think I'll be going private either in 2015 or earlier.

If you need any help deciding, let us know, happy to help.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-07/2015; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg (31.9 - 56.7mpg)
    07/2015-Present; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg (34.4 - 59.9mpg)
    NEW DUE 08/2017; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SE DSG

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Account deleted
    the decision is being made harder by pip

Does anyone think it may be a better idea to go private now? I could use my higher rate money top pay towards a car until I lose it (which is inevitable)

In regards to the pip, it does seem crazy. I know so many people that will lose out to the new guidelines.

Yes, I am on the border of higher rate, but yes, I am entitled to it. I try to live as normal life as possible and use public transport everyday as well as having a motability car. I commute into London everyday but if I wasn't able to drive to the station in the morning I wouldn't be able to do what I do. There's no way I could walk the 2 miles to the station day in, day out. It would kill me and I would be more of a financial burden on the government due to health costs if I was having to walk to and from the station.

It's up to you really.

If you don't mind 'previous owner syndrome' then get a private car with the HRM money - use it on a private loan or use Motability's HP scheme - although you'll certainly get a better rate on the high street.

OR

You can get a new car on Motability but make sure it has a high depreciation, like Littlebib's example the Astra, in fact anything Vauxhall will depreciate handsomly, then in 3 years you can buy that car, at least then you know who the previous owner is.

I think I might wait until my lease expires as I can see at least 100,000 ex-Motability cars entering the market within a year - best way to pickup a bargain or I'll cancel my current lease and go private - I can't decide at the moment just too many other things going on. I will come to a decision in June though - my 1 year anniversary with my current car.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-07/2015; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg (31.9 - 56.7mpg)
    07/2015-Present; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg (34.4 - 59.9mpg)
    NEW DUE 08/2017; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SE DSG

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs