Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inheritance

Inheritance

Does anyone know how this works. If a disabled person on benefits is left a good sum of money in someones will can it be left intrust and a yearly amount given without it affecting their benefits?
    Sea Queen

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    Does anyone know how this works. If a disabled person on benefits is left a good sum of money in someones will can it be left intrust and a yearly amount given without it affecting their benefits?
    no it cant and you cant just spend the money to get you below the amount that affects benefits as they will decided on a length of time they will take as you still having the money before paying more benefits .......... seek advice from CAB

Thanks Dave - sounds like it's better to drip feed some of it then before it comes to the end if you get my drift
    Sea Queen

i know its sneaky but perhaps you can have the money put in someone elses account or a seperate account and #cough#not declare it#cough#

...what, like they dont screw us over!

Really can't agree with this. Benefits are supposed to support pople when they need it. Not when someone has or comes into enough money to support themsleves, with the exception of DLA. Its things like this that give the Dail Mail and Tory government all the ammunition they need to bash everyone else on any benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouslyfedup View Post
    Really can't agree with this. Benefits are supposed to support pople when they need it. Not when someone has or comes into enough money to support themsleves, with the exception of DLA. Its things like this that give the Dail Mail and Tory government all the ammunition they need to bash everyone else on any benefits.
    Agree 100%, if you have the means then no benefits. I would look forward to sticking a finger or two up at Atos and co.

Your inheritance is only going to affect income related benefits

It's not my inheritance Richard it's a post for someone I know, have had to work all my life for what I have as my parents hadn't much to leave me when they passed on - but they gave plenty of support through my life which is more important in MO.
    Thanks for all the replies seems it's better to help with cash for replacing worn out stuff which a person can't afford to buy themselves though whilst one is still alive, saves the person having to go with the begging bowl to ss I suppose - who said people had to wait to gain money from anothers death.
    Sea Queen

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    It's not my inheritance Richard it's a post for someone I know, have had to work all my life for what I have as my parents hadn't much to leave me when they passed on - but they gave plenty of support through my life which is more important in MO.
    Thanks for all the replies seems it's better to help with cash for replacing worn out stuff which a person can't afford to buy themselves though whilst one is still alive, saves the person having to go with the begging bowl to ss I suppose - who said people had to wait to gain money from anothers death.
    giving gifts before you die is no get out in the uk the tax man can look back 7 years before death and tax gifts its very complex

another good one! your having money troubles so before going bust you favour some of the people you owe........offical reciver can take money off them and put it in pot for everyone owed money to have some

Sounds like a complicated mine field to me. Thanks for the advice at the end of the day all I can do is pass it on and leave them too it. From you what you saying I don'e even want to know what they decide to do. As you say it only affects income related benefits and not DLA I am not even sure if the grandchild gets DLA.
    Sea Queen