Thread: Help with carers allowance please

Help with carers allowance please

Hello,

I am currently waiting for my divorce to become final,I am in receipt of ESA,MRC DLA and LRM DLA.My husband claimed carers allowance for looking after me,I have lived with my son for the last 15 months and have been trying to claim the disability premium that MRC DLA entitles me to if I live alone and no-one is paid a carers allowance for looking after me,I have tried countless times to explain to the DWP that my soon to be ex-husband is still claiming carers allowance even though I have not seen him for over a year,I have asked for it to be cancelled so that I can claim the premium,I keep being told that they cannot cancel it until my estranged husband contacts them himself to tell them he is no longer entitled to the money,I am now in a situation where I need the extra money to pay someone else yet my estranged husband is being paid a benefit he is not entitled to and the DWP are well aware of this but say they can do nothing about it,surely this can't be right?I'd appreciate any advice please.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonsgirl View Post
    Hello,

I am currently waiting for my divorce to become final,I am in receipt of ESA,MRC DLA and LRM DLA.My husband claimed carers allowance for looking after me,I have lived with my son for the last 15 months and have been trying to claim the disability premium that MRC DLA entitles me to if I live alone and no-one is paid a carers allowance for looking after me,I have tried countless times to explain to the DWP that my soon to be ex-husband is still claiming carers allowance even though I have not seen him for over a year,I have asked for it to be cancelled so that I can claim the premium,I keep being told that they cannot cancel it until my estranged husband contacts them himself to tell them he is no longer entitled to the money,I am now in a situation where I need the extra money to pay someone else yet my estranged husband is being paid a benefit he is not entitled to and the DWP are well aware of this but say they can do nothing about it,surely this can't be right?I'd appreciate any advice please.
    I'm assuming that when you say living with your son he is an elder son. If so you cannot claim a benefit in advance of what you intend to do. When you have your own place and have no one living with you then you can claim. Someone could claim carers allowance seperately to that of your ex's claim. You could phone the benefit fraud line and report your ex.

Sounds like fraud to me as wobble says phone the benefit fraud line
    Sea Queen

davewhit
    Report him using this online form

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

Thanks everyone,my son is only 6 years old so I don't think he's taken into account for the premium,what I don't understand is why the DWP have just not stopped the carers benefit when they have been told time and time again he doesn't look after me and we have no contact,they seem hellbent on clamping down on people yet they know what's happening in my case and refuse to do anything about it,when I applied for the premium and told them of my change of circumstances I was turned down because they checked and said someone claims carers allowance for looking after me,feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall,I should have been getting the premium for a long time now so have lost out on a lot of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonsgirl View Post
    Thanks everyone,my son is only 6 years old so I don't think he's taken into account for the premium,what I don't understand is why the DWP have just not stopped the carers benefit when they have been told time and time again he doesn't look after me and we have no contact,they seem hellbent on clamping down on people yet they know what's happening in my case and refuse to do anything about it,when I applied for the premium and told them of my change of circumstances I was turned down because they checked and said someone claims carers allowance for looking after me,feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall,I should have been getting the premium for a long time now so have lost out on a lot of help.
    I'm afraid that they can - and will - continue to pay him unless he voluntarily gives up his CA - or if you use the report form which Davewhit has posted. I have known cases like this take a long time to sort out I'm afraid, but once he is judged by DWP as not eligible for CA anymore your Income Support premium should be backdated to when you first tried to claim it.
    The only other way to get it investigated would be if someone else claimed CA for looking after you, but that still takes time.
    Meanwhile the only consolation you have is that he is making a fraudulent claim, and could end up being prosecuted.

It is always difficult to get a clear picture from posts on a forum, as I did re living with your son.
    Was your ex working when you were together, what ESA group are you in and what ESA do you get IR or CB?
    When you first seperated you are obligated to inform the DWP of a change in circumstances, did this happen?
    Are there other issues around the seperation and divorce, property, savings etc? It appears he has had no contact with his son since the seperation, does he pay Child Support?
    There must be some form of contact with him as you are getting divorced, have you told your solicitor about this?
    I'm assuming that your ex is aware that he shouldn't be still claiming and is doing so for some "other" reason.
    Sorry to ask so many questions.