Thread: Florida Holiday

Florida Holiday

I have booked a 3 week Florida holiday for my family and I, I have breathing issues and as such have limited walking. I have a blue badge here and was wondering if I can apply for a parking badge in Florida and if so how do I go about it. My local travel agent hasn't been able to find me any information.

I was also wondering if there is a scheme for children with ADHD and autism can be fast tracked in the theme parks, as standing in line can be a problem for these sort of children. Here we have to just provide medical evidence of his condition and we get easy access.

Any advice would be gratefully received, as I want to make this a special holiday as I feel with my breathing like it is, I won't be able to go abroad again.

Thanks.

Hope you find what you're looking for here . .. .

http://goflorida.about.com/od/planni...bled_guide.htm

I think you'll find it very accessible and people will be only too happy to help.

Enjoy

Hi Pacey

Disabled facilities in Florida are much better than here in the UK so don't worry

Parking, to be able to use the disabled parking bays you will need a temporary Disabled Tag (Bright Red!), you need to go to the nearest "Tax & Tag" office, you must take your Blue badge and your passport, they will charge $15 for the first pass but if you go back again the next one is free

The theme parks all operate a version of preferred access to most of the rides for special needs etc., as you enter a theme park ask for guest services and they will assist you with whatever system they operate, don't be afraid to ask they are more than happy to help

Can I ask what time of year you are going?, best to avoid the summer holidays if possible also it's very hot then so may not help your breathing. We find the best times to go are late April/Early May or our favourite late November/early December. We don't do the theme parks as my son is now 22 but those times are generally a lot quieter so less standing in line for rides etc. Also the last 2 weeks of November - first 2 weeks of December is cheaper and all the Christmas themes shows are on the the parks as well as lots of Christmas shopping for you to do!

If you need any further info please ask, we've been going since 2001 and for the last 10 years have done everything ourselves and saving a fortune on travel agent/holiday company prices. For example our last trip in November 2012, we booked train to Manchester (no flights from the North East after Oct.), overnight hotel, extra legroom seats and extra luggage with Virgin, a large 4x4 (for accessibility) and a 3 bedroom villa with all mod cons and a pool for under £1700. Package deal/Travel agent was over £1900 in basic economy with less leg room, less luggage allowance, a medium car and a single hotel room with 2 x double beds.

Quick link to DMV offices in the Kissimmee area,

http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/osceola.html

Thank you for your reply, the info is just what I needed.
    Sadly with 2 11 year olds we are having to go in the summer holidays but also it is our 25th wedding anniversary and we wanted a special holiday. 5 adults and 2 children, we have had to order a 15 seat mini van as the normal 7 seater will not take all our luggage.

I am at the moment finding travel insurance difficult with my conditions, last year wasn't too bad, but I was in hospital last year for 2 days and that seems to have put the insurers off. I have to declare I was in hospital in the past 12 month, would it be better to wait and insure after 12 months past or can anyone advise on insurers for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacey View Post
    I have booked a 3 week Florida holiday for my family and I, I have breathing issues and as such have limited walking. I have a blue badge here and was wondering if I can apply for a parking badge in Florida and if so how do I go about it. My local travel agent hasn't been able to find me any information.

I was also wondering if there is a scheme for children with ADHD and autism can be fast tracked in the theme parks, as standing in line can be a problem for these sort of children. Here we have to just provide medical evidence of his condition and we get easy access.

Any advice would be gratefully received, as I want to make this a special holiday as I feel with my breathing like it is, I won't be able to go abroad again.

Thanks.
    Do your children hold I COUNT cards? I believe these are accepted there

I have used medical services for my grand ma with Wheel chair transport service last month.They offered really useful and comfortable transportation services to take her to and from our hotel to our desired places in Florida. I am sure you can get your desired services with them. http://www.wheelchairtransport.com/