Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly with wheelchair

fly with wheelchair

Hi,
    I heard that it's possible for a wheelchair to be damaged during a plane transport.
    I use a manual folding wheelchair.

First of all I'd like to read your experiences about that, if that happened to you, with which air company etc., and if you have suggestions to avoid this problem.

Then, I'd like to know if there's any insurance which covers this kind of damages (because I know that air company should refund, but it's not so easy, it needs a lot of time and burocratic stuff.. so I'd prefer to find an insurance that refunds me as soon as possible).

Thank you very much.

If it's a folding wheelchair it will often be fitted into one of the wardrobes if you ask nicely.

My brakes have been damaged on the last two trips to the US, but both time the airline has refunded without any real trouble. It was the small feeder airlines that seemed to be the issue as the baggage handlers were none too careful loading them into the hold.

If it's a folding manual wheelchair.

Phone the airlines involved. They usually have a 'special needs' section. Tell them you need wheelchair assistance on the journey there and back.

They should be able to store it in the cabin. Ask for extra legroom and to be near the toilets.

Remember cabin crew can't assist you to the toilet as they handle food.

I fiind that you'll be the first on the plane, last off but first to leave the airport.

If you need travel or wheelchair insurance cover try this company. https://www.fishinsurance.co.uk
    https://www.fishinsurance.co.uk/mobi...-insurance.php

I beg to differ about the storage in the cabin Lightfoot as a regular flyer. Wheelchairs are taken to the plane door and if you can't walk to your seat you are put in a transfer chair and wheeled to your seat.
    All mobility aids other than sticks and crutches are put into the hold after the luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I beg to differ about the storage in the cabin Lightfoot as a regular flyer. Wheelchairs are taken to the plane door and if you can't walk to your seat you are put in a transfer chair and wheeled to your seat.
    All mobility aids other than sticks and crutches are put into the hold after the luggage.
    Hi Beau,

Yes in my experience the wheelchair is brought as far as the cabin entrance. Then, if you can, they will transfer you onto a narrow gauge wheelchair that could go between the seats. I guess it depends on the size of plane and whether charter or schedule. That's why it's best to find out in advance. Some 'hopper planes' may even charge you to put the chair in the hold. I always ask for wheelchair assistance as they'll get your luggage too and hail you a cab if need be.

Thank you all for the information. I confirm that it's a folding manual wheelchair, so i'll try to ask for it to be held in the wardrobe.

I remember that once, when I was a child, I traveled by plane and my wheelchair was stored in some closet, but I know that it doesn't always go in this way.
    Do you know what does it depend on? Why sometimes wheelchair are allowed to be stored in the cabin, and sometimes they are stored in the hold?

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I beg to differ about the storage in the cabin Lightfoot as a regular flyer.
    ..what is Lightfoot? (I'm not english, sorry ).

They will not store your wheelchair in the cabin it will have to go into the hold with all the luggage.

How do people manage using the toilets on aircraft they are so small. I know my daughter would struggle and I wouldn't be able to close the door - or go in with her if she needed me too
    Sea Queen

.On larger aircraft they may store your wheelchair in the cabin. On flights between the UK and USA mine has been stored as such, but not always. Best to ask.

I've had my chair damaged twice, both times by the same airline going to the same airport. The airline fixed the chair on both occasions, the first whilst we were there and the second time back in the UK. They provided a loan chair each time.

I've flown alot, its happened twice out of maybe 100 flights or more.

We do tend to take handles and footplates on to the plane if the wheelchair is not in the cabin, so to reduce possible damage

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    How do people manage using the toilets on aircraft they are so small. I know my daughter would struggle and I wouldn't be able to close the door - or go in with her if she needed me too
    There are curtains which the cabin crew will close and the door can be left open and the carer stand at the door. Have seen this happen at times.