Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain control without pain killers.

Banned

Pain control without pain killers.

I had an email today about pain and vitamin d and I thought perhaps others here may like to see a copy of my reply.

I used to suffer from neurogenic pain resulting from the late effects of polio.
    My Ankles and wrists and sometimes other joints were affected with a constant low level pain that no prescription pain killers would touch unless taken in amounts to affected quality of life.
    I suffered with this pain for mainly years and been through the gamut of prescription pain killers. The prospect of it getting worse was simply intolerable and I was afraid the rate at which I was exhausting the range of pain relief available would mean that by the time I was old (Late Effects of Polio doesn't shorten life it just affects quality of life) There would be no alternatives left to deal with pain in old age, which is why I went on my search for how best to slow the progression of the condition and control the pain without medication.

The Biochemical Origin of Pain Proposing a new law of Pain: The origin of all Pain is Inflammation and the Inflammatory Response PART 1 of 3 A unifying law of pain Part 2 is also online free full text. It may be worth reading this before the rest of my post as the rest is simply the anti inflammatory agents I've added to my list.

Increasing my natural anti inflammatory status seemed to be worth doing.
    I doubt the 5000iu will be sufficient to rebuild your 25(OH)D level.
    Topping up your vitamin D tank
    Dr Davis finds his patients require MORE than the 5000iu/daily/D3 you are suggesting and over a longer term before they reach the point their bodies start increasing 25(OH)D significantly above 60ng/ml. 150nmol/l I'm nor that much heavier than you. I take 5000iu/daily BUT I also use a UVB high sunbed every other day in winter and get full body sun in the summer whenever available or use the sunbed if it's too cold. I keep my 25(OH)D around 60ng/ml
    I get tested twice yearly at Grassrootshealth

I was already posting about using Vitamin D in conjunction with omega 3 for chronic pain, back in the MSE days. The omega 3 DHA is in fact a Vitamin D receptor ligand so helps D3 function, but omega 3 also resolves inflammation. and I found that keeping my omega 3 status high with 2g daily omega 3 (EPA+DHA) while not consuming any omega 6 industrial seed oils (corn,sunflower, soyabean, cottonseed) also helped.

When you increase the amount of vitamin D you consume you inevitably increase the ability of your body to absorb calcium from your diet.
    While there are plenty of calcium sources our grains now have much less magnesium than was the case prior to 1960 so we are now all magnesium deficient as well as vitamin d deficient. ( low magnesium also leads to excess iron absorption) So it's a good idea to increase magnesium intake to improve neuropathic pain control, with a magnesium Albion Patent mineral magnesium chelate (the best absorbed magnesium) with each meal through the day.

To add to your anti inflammatory arsenal another Vitamin D receptor ligand that also works in other ways is curcumin I take 500mg night and morning.

You may also want to consider Resveratrol alongside the curcumin, They tend to work in synergy improving the impact of each other although they are working in different ways

While I do use resveratrol as the excuse for opening another bottle of red I don't think drinking yourself blotto is a sensible pain relief strategy the hangover next morning is somewhat counterproductive but supplements are available.

I do want to make the point that these strategies ALL have to be in place at the same time.
    While I love the idea of the scientific method I don't think people in pain have the luxury of trying one thing and then another.

The Vitamin D will take around 3yrs to reach a level where you can be sure it is actually stored in tissue cells rather than just circulating. Most scientific studies don't use sufficient for long enough for any of the participants to actually have stored vitamin D reserves.

Omega 6 out competes omega 3 for space in cells at ratios above 5 onega 6 to 1 omega 3 and as most people have ratios around 20 to 1 and the half life of omega 6 is 2 yrs in the body it's going to take several years of omega 3 surplus and omega 6 elimination to drop that below the 5<>1 ratio.

98% of our magnesium should be stored in our bones. Our skeleton is refurbished on a 10yr schedule so staying in mangesium surplus for 10yrs is required to rebuild magnesium stores. As most people don't meet the current RDA for magnesium and that's too low persuading people to take effective amounts of magnesium for long enough to solve the underlying problem is difficult.

Do bear in mind I'm NOT a health professional, simply someone who was desperate to solve to problem of constant pain, depression and overweight. Whether my attack pain from all angles approach works for you is something you will have to discover for yourself.

Another anti inflammatory anti oxidant you may want to use is Melatonin. I used to dread the time just after going to bed when in that period before actually going to sleep all I was aware of was the pain in my joints. I'd manage to distract myself, more or less through the day but going to sleep and indeed in the morning on waking I found it difficult not to focus on the pain. Improving melatonin secretion and using melatonin TR supplements is another supplementary layer.

Implications of melatonin therapy in irritable bowel syndrome this mentions melatonin relation to pain.
    Effects of melatonin on nociception processes in experimentally model of neurophatic pain

I should perhaps mention that weight loss is a good way to reduce chronic inflammation and lower sensitivity to pain.
    I used this Low Carbohydrate plan Obviously exercise isn't an option for me and I didn't fancy the idea of semi starvation either so a plan which didn't require calorie counting, carbohydrate counting or deliberate calorie restriction was ideal for me. I lost 2lbs a week for 25weeks and reached my target weight without problems. I suspect that going into this plan with a high anti inflammatory status enabled it to work better. I've not regained weight since. The reason why losing fat is important is that fats cells emit pro inflammatory cytokines so overweight people have a higher inflammatory status and therefore are more sensitive to pain.
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 04-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.

In my opinion it's mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter.

I have pain 24/7 over 30 years. I can have a tooth pulled without an anesthetic. How you might ask. Pain is in the mind. If you think something is going to hurt it will.

Displacement is my own answer. The only pain relief for me is morphine based but I don't use it because of the side affects.

After a while your pain threshold rises so pain that crucifixes other people is standard to me.

I don't have injections for dentist work as I think obvious pain to a different place. I push my thumb nail into my forefinger really hard and tell myself how painful my thumb is so I avoid what's going on in my mouth. Don't get me wrong I still feel pain in my mouthbut it's not an issue.

If I accidentally have a trip and fall I cannot cushion my fall by reaching out. My head usually comes to grief with concrete first. I can only compare it to someone swinging at your head with a baseball bat. What's strange is that it's not as painful as you think as the brain instantly releases 'endorphins' which neutralize the pain. I understand that they are about 10 times more powerful than morphine and they give you a 'happy rush' which is bizarre. It's a bit like floating and is very peaceful.

Sorry I haven't read the above thread - this was just my experience.

Banned
    Well it's obvious Lighttouch is made of sterner stuff than I am.
    I do agree that distraction can take the mind off pain. Initially when I was posting online I tended to use heated discussions as way to take my mind off the constant pain I was experiencing at the time.

However it's a bit like the antibiotic/UTI avoidance experience in the same way NOT having UTI's is better than treating them with antibiotics or having to drink cranberry juice all the time, so to I find with pain.

Not experiencing pain, by stopping inflammation and/or controlling the inflammatory response is far better than having pain and having to attempt to control the mind to avoid noticing that pain.

One other aspect of my diet/lifestyle that also reduces pain sensitivity is my Green Tea consumption. Consumption of Green Tea improves both reflexes and sensation which are often affected in the course of peripheral neuropathy.

While I'm sure some people obtain pleasure from what appears to me to be self harm I freely admit I'm a wimp when it comes to pain and I'd rather avoid it that fight it head on.

Account deleted
    Bet you talk to trees as well

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    Bet you talk to trees as well
    Please, if you don't have anything useful, helpful or constructive to say will you refrain from commenting on my posts.

I'm well aware that some people enjoy unnecessary suffering and take pride in the amount of pain they endure and the number of pain medications they consume.

I accept I'm a coward when it comes to pain and prefer to avoid it whenever possible. The fact that I manage to do this successfully is something I'm quite proud of.

If they don't interest you DON'T read my posts.
    You should be able to ignore posts that annoy you or which you don't understand in the same way Lighttouch says " it's mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter.

He is a spammer, isn't he?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by froglegs View Post
    He is a spammer, isn't he?
    What makes you think that?
    Just because you wouldn't ever act altruistically doesn't mean others aren't prepared to act with a selfless concern for the welfare of others.

Wink

Errrrrrrrrrrrm okey dokey

waits for the link where i can get more info for only $249.99 for first installment and the rest for only $499 a month.......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    waits for the link where i can get more info for only $249.99 for first installment and the rest for only $499 a month.......
    There are some people who are ruthlessly determined to turn this forum into the war zone that destroyed the previous youreable. Just because you are the kind of person who thinks it fine to scam others doesn't give you the right to assume that I would act with that same absence of regard for the welfare of others.

If there is anything about the information I provide that is inaccurate, misleading or not evidence based then you can search pubmed/google scholar find the evidence that supports your opinion and show me, and other readers, why your opinion is more evidence based than mine.
    It simply isn't fair, reasonable or helpful to make snide remarks that are totally unjustified.
    How on earth can people offer helpful evidence based information if their efforts are continually undermined by nasty mean-minded ignorant individuals who try to spoil constructive evidence based suggestions.

The fact remains that I was in constant pain. I'm not any more.

It is possible to control pain without the use of prescription medicines or NSAIDs if you don't want to understand how I do this then don't read my posts that's your choice, but to try to prevent others from benefiting from recent published research based evidence seems to me wholly immoral and you should be ashamed of yourself.