Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is how help for bedroom tax will work Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

davewhit

This is how help for bedroom tax will work Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

So people who cant afford the bed room tax can ask the council for extra help here are the rules, rather than tell you when they will help its set up as when they wont and there are of course more times they wont than will. I did hear the total UK fund was only £19 million but can't find a link.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

When we wouldn't help

In general, we wouldn't expect to pay Discretionary Housing Payments in these situations.
    •If your benefit falls a long way short of the rent because the landlord is overcharging by a large amount or because of the Local Housing Allowance rates.

•Because local reference rents and Local Housing Allowance rates have put homes in many parts of the city beyond the means of many people claiming Housing Benefit.

•If your preference for a size of home, type of home or area to live in is not strictly necessary and you have no compelling reasons for this preference.

•When your non-dependants have not paid their share of your housing costs but they have the means to do so.

•The inadequacy of benefits for disability to cover the cost of disability towards which they are paid.

•If you are unwilling to use other available resources or to apply for other more appropriate forms of help.

•If you could deal with your housing costs in other ways, for example, by moving to cheaper accommodation or by claiming other benefits.

•If you move from a council or Housing Association tenancy to unaffordable private-rented accommodation, unless the move is for the most compelling reasons.

We will not normally help with the cost of rent in advance, removal costs or other expenses to help you move to affordable accommodation

Account deleted
    Tell you what not a lot of Tory councils will be looking at can you afford to do this or that, but already my council has stated it maybe time to buy your home, and I think they may be right

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    Tell you what not a lot of Tory councils will be looking at can you afford to do this or that, but already my council has stated it maybe time to buy your home, and I think they may be right
    buying a house is IMO always a good idea but given recent problems the banks have had I cant see them lineing up to lend money

davewhit
    I was right THE TOTAL UK FUND TO HELP PEOPLE WAS TO BE £20 MILLION BUT PAGE 3 SHOWS ITS GONE UP TO £134 MILLION TO START WITH

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/discretio...uide-draft.pdf

Buying ones own property (if you could afford the mortgage) may sound a good idea, lets not forget though that you are then responsible for ALL repairs on it.
    Sea Queen

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    Buying ones own property (if you could afford the mortgage) may sound a good idea, lets not forget though that you are then responsible for ALL repairs on it.
    new roof £12,000

pair sink taps fitted £200

new boiler £2000

boiler service £60

boiler pump fitted £200 but its your house rent and mortgage dont have that much in it, you might not make the money houses did in the past but your not making a land lord money if you buy

Most of the things on that list have been part of the HB restrictions for a long time anyway. The excess private rents for example, Local Reference Rents, non dependants contribuions to rents. There's really nothing new there.
    As regards 'shortfalls' in Disability Benefits the LA's are throwing the ball back into the DLA/PIP court. Unfairly. Because DLA has never been intended to pay for extra space.
    What they don't list as not allowed is the use of DHPs for tenants who have been placed in properties, by Councils and Housing Associations, which were too big for their needs in the first place, so in that respect there's maybe a bit of hope.
    But for people who have been left with excess rooms because their children have grown up and left the future looks pretty grim.

It's lucky that I live in my own home otherwise the Council would clobber me for under-occupying the space. The benefit is that I can take in a lodger if need be to help fund unexpected bills.

Four years ago I did have a new boiler put in at no cost to me. It was through one of those government energy schemes.

I'll have to say that I don't think I'll need to replace the roof as it's thick Westmoreland slate - I've been here 20 ears and it's as good as you.

Where social housing wins is due to the 'decent homes standard' where all houses had new bathrooms, kitchens, rewiring, front doors etc. My bathroom and kitchen are looking 'tired' but functional. It would be expensive to get a company in to strip them out and replace so I'll make do. I don't see the point in replacing them as they ain't broke.

Now where I live the Manchester has brought out a website to help people find new social housing or swop. Is this a local initiative - what's your view http://www.manchestermove.co.uk

By the way have you wondered why Councils have suddenly introduced the 'bedroom tax.

Up until this April all Councils could keep 70% of collected Council Tax - from April the government says they can only keep 50%.

As a sweetener the government has told Councils that any business rates they collect they can have.

Now Councils are chasing the 3rd sector for top whack business rates which were previously subsidised. But it's backfiring as all that's happening - organisations can't afford the new hiked business rates and are having to move to cheaper premises. So in the end the Council owned premises lies empty as everyone has left. It's like cutting off your own nose - stupid.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    Most of the things on that list have been part of the HB restrictions for a long time anyway. The excess private rents for example, Local Reference Rents, non dependants contribuions to rents. There's really nothing new there.
    As regards 'shortfalls' in Disability Benefits the LA's are throwing the ball back into the DLA/PIP court. Unfairly. Because DLA has never been intended to pay for extra space.
    What they don't list as not allowed is the use of DHPs for tenants who have been placed in properties, by Councils and Housing Associations, which were too big for their needs in the first place, so in that respect there's maybe a bit of hope.
    But for people who have been left with excess rooms because their children have grown up and left the future looks pretty grim.
    agree the new one that is interesting is

If you are unwilling to use other available resources or to apply for other more appropriate forms of help.

sell your car ? what do they mean