Thread: Income related esa

Income related esa

Hi All,

This is my first post...I am looking for advice regarding being put onto income related esa. I would like to know how much income I need to be in receipt of before my esa is affected. I am renting a property, but I have a mortgaged property that I also rent out and I know that will be regarded as income. I receive 600.00 a month for that property. Do your outgoings get taken into account i.e. the fact that I am paying rent as a private tenant?
    I live on my own so do not have a partner with an income.

I have waited 13 months for my tribunal and it has been the most stressful experience ever. It really is enough to break people! I was so pleased when I got the letter to say I had won the tribunal, but now I'm left wondering if it was all worth it as I might not be entitled to the esa due to my income. I feel the government have been so canny changing the IB to income related esa.

I welcome any help.

Cupcake

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Hi All,

This is my first post...I am looking for advice regarding being put onto income related esa. I would like to know how much income I need to be in receipt of before my esa is affected. I am renting a property, but I have a mortgaged property that I also rent out and I know that will be regarded as income. I receive 600.00 a month for that property. Do your outgoings get taken into account i.e. the fact that I am paying rent as a private tenant?

I have waited 13 months for my tribunal and it has been the most stressful experience ever. It really is enough to break people! I was so pleased when I got the letter to say I had won the tribunal, but now I'm left wondering if it was all worth it as I might not be entitled to the esa due to my income. I feel the government have been so canny changing the IB to income related esa.

I welcome any help.

Cupcake
    When you say won appeal what do you mean? Were you found fit for work after being transfered from IB and appealed and have got ESA or did you originally get put in wrag and are now in support?
    TBH I'm not an expert on this but owning a property in itself could be an issue for you. If they are aware of it and have not said anything then I may well be wrong but there has to be something wrong in renting out a property yet claiming HB for yourself.
    Sorry if I have misunderstood but from what you say it appears you could get in a lot of trouble.
    Last edited by wobble1; 03-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.

davewhit
    It will reduce your ESA by about 25 a week if it was treated as a pension thats a guess

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    When you say won appeal what do you mean? Were you found fit for work after being transfered from IB and appealed and have got ESA or did you originally get put in wrag and are now in support?
    TBH I'm not an expert on this but owning a property in itself could be an issue for you. If they are aware of it and have not said anything then I may well be wrong but there has to be something wrong in renting out a property yet claiming HB for yourself.
    Sorry if I have misunderstood but from what you say it appears you could get in a lot of trouble.
    I see no mention of housing benefit in the post ?

Hi All,

I welcome any help.

Cupcake
    Income Based Employment Support Allowance will take into account the equity value of the rented property less any mortgage. So if the property is worth 150,000 and there is a 100,00 mortgage, equity will be 50,000. Anything over 16,000 stops you getting ESA income based.

Now the rent income. If you get 600 rent income that will be taken into account less anything you pay to the mortgage on that property from the 600. Your rent payments from the 600 are not disregarded.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    I see no mention of housing benefit in the post ?
    Derrr, you are absolutely right DW. I need new glasses.
    I still think there is going to be an issue with owning a property and getting benefit.
    However, the OP has not been challenged on this by the DWP before so I assume we don't have all the facts.

Hi,

I don't claim housing benefit. I have been on IB long term. I was found fit for work by ATOS, I appealed, and at my tribunal last week I was told I will be put on income related ESA with the work based interview componet for 24 months.
    The powers that be know I own a property, but I am also having to rent a property to live in myself.

Thanks for your reply.

wow so what did you live off whilst you were appealing for a whole year cupcake? the assessment rate?

no..i also have a personal health insurance that kicked in when I was medically retired from being self employed. I guess that will be taken into account too. Can they decide you are entitled to no money at all?

no..i also have a personal health insurance that kicked in when I was medically retired from being self employed. I guess that will be taken into account too. Can they decide you are entitled to no money at all?
    On IR ESA yes they can.
    As you say the Govt have been "canny", I think many would choose a different word.