Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESA - to claim or not to claim

ESA - to claim or not to claim

Well I must be in a unique position where I'm going to retire 12 years early on medical grounds and I can't see any benefit to claiming ESA.

I hope to be receiving a company small pension in June once the paperwork has been finalised.

However it also means, being single, with no children, I 'm not entitled to any benefits.

No income support, no housing benefit, no state pension, no pension credit, but a council tax reduction due to being a single occupant and disability relief.

I could only claim ESA under the 'contributions' section and if they put me in the 'support group'. Even if that was to happen they check out your pension and start making deductions so I'd be getting virtually nothing per week anyway.

But all isn't lost. As the least they would do is top up my NI contributions for a state pension. Well I've checked and I've already paid in over 35 yeas of NI contributions and you only needed 30 years contributions to qualify for a State Pension - that was up until April this year.

By the time I'm eligible for a state pension, in 12 years time, (if I'm still on this ball of clay), everyone will be entitled to a State Pension of about 140 a week.

So to my mind I can't see any advantage to sending the ESA application back as there's nowt in it for me.

I guess I'll just have to spend my savings until there comes a point where I can claim income-based ESA in the future.

Something tells me I'm being to honest for my own good!

I wish I'd been a spend thrift and blown all my savings on wine, women, gambling, exotic holidays and cranked up massive debts that I couldn't pay back.

I'm not sure that it pays to be 'thrifty' if you're disabled - sooner or later you'll probably need to retire early through ill health. Work pays while you're in it but once you're out of work it seems there's no safety net.

If you can think of a good reason why I should apply for ESA let me know. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 04-25-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Account deleted
    Thats just giving up rising the white flag, I know I'm disabled and I paid tax and stamp for 32 years, but this is not about that is it. This medical and WCA which New labour brought in was wrong and it's up to use to prove that the majority of us are ill sick and disabled.

Labour and the Tories stated at the last count that 90% of us would fail the new test, thats now expected to be about 20 to 30% so if that right then we all have a dam good chance of winning out medicals.

Why the hell should i not fight this and prove to both my self and this right wing idiots they are wrong.

If you have paid your contributions you are still entitled to contributory ESA, even if you are put into the work group, once they bring the 12 month rule in you will lose it after being on it one year but at least that is some of the money back on all those NI stamps you paid. It might even end up being 2 years but I am not going to hold my breath...

Remember, you paid for it.....

You say your pension is small and there will be a disregard of a certain amount of it.
    Plus if you are on HRC of DLA it may be full disregard as it was on IB.
    Don't cut your nose off to spite your face, you have paid into the system all these years so why not claim it, you may get something and in this day and age with the cost of living going up it is not to be sniffed at.
    This link may help
    http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/money...-how-much.aspx
    Last edited by beau; 04-25-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Account deleted
    And how long if you do not go through the ESA do you think it will be before they call you in for DLA, I bet it's not long because in their tiny minds you are scared or cheating.

Well Mr T i can assure you that as a disabled person I would much prefer to work as it gave me a sense of purpose and I was surrounded by a 100s of comrades.

First there was a restructure, jobs were disestablished, redeployment, interviews, more interviews, occupational health, interviews with Access to Work, more interviews, paper review by independent doctor, face to face interview with second independent doctor resulting in medical retirement.

Medical interviews are the least of my worries. After all my medical condition is quite natural to me but any able bodied person who 'traded places' for a day wouldn't even attempt to rise out of bed.

Account deleted
    Well we all make a choice in this world and then have to live with it, for me I know for a fact given the right doctor at the medical, sorting out the nerd at the WCA I will get the right decision.

If not then look out.

I was medically retired at just 32, I am now 39. My husband works full-time and we have no children so I get no extra benefits and we struggle every month to pay the bills but you really should claim ESA LT, like others have said, you have paid into it, so claim it.

I do understand what you mean though about wishing you had been crazy with your money !

I do understand what you mean though about wishing you had been crazy with your money
    must have more than 16,000 saved if they had less you can claim more....me I got sod all

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    must have more than 16,000 saved if they had less you can claim more....me I got sod all
    Hello Richard, sounds familiar. Yes when retiring you can get a tax free lump sum which if added to any savings doesn't do you any favours. Looks like I'll lose 3000 to 4000 a year of my savings. Something tells me it won't last long unless I can get a lodger or two. Don't worry I'm working on it.