Thread: Prescription help - ESA support group

Prescription help - ESA support group

Hello everyone,

My 19 yr old daughter has been placed on ESA (support group). I am very confused about prescriptions - do you have to pay for them when you are in the support group? At the tick boxes on the back of prescriptions there is only ESA income and contributory related mentioned. I have tried to find information on the internet but there doesn't seem to be much information on this particular group so prescriptions didn't come up.
    If anyone can clarify this it would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

As far as I'm aware, free prescriptions are available under Income Related ESA (irrespective of group).

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by katre60 View Post
    Hello everyone,

My 19 yr old daughter has been placed on ESA (support group). I am very confused about prescriptions - do you have to pay for them when you are in the support group? At the tick boxes on the back of prescriptions there is only ESA income and contributory related mentioned. I have tried to find information on the internet but there doesn't seem to be much information on this particular group so prescriptions didn't come up.

Thank you.
    You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

•are 60 or over
    •are under 16
    •are 16-18 and in full-time education
    •are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
    •have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
    •have a continuing physical disability that prevents you from going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
    •hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
    •are an NHS inpatient

You are also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner (including civil partners) are named on, or are entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate (full help with health costs), or you receive either:

•Income Support
    •Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    •Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
    •Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
    •Universal Credit

Thanks RaeUK,

That's where the confusion is, because the prescription doesn't mention 'support group'. Rang a disability group for help and they said I would have to fill in a form for free prescriptions if daughter had low income; they didn't seem to know about it as well.
    Last edited by katre60; 04-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Her award letter from the DWP should say. Mine quite clearly states 'Income Related ESA'. Have a check through the paperwork or phone the DWP for clarification. If, however, she is on Contribution Based ESA then she might need to fill out a form. The group she is in is immaterial.

davewhit
    Thanks RaeUK,

That's where the confusion is, because the prescription doesn't mention 'support group'. Rang a disability group for help and they said I would have to fill in a form for free prescriptions if daughter had low income; they didn't seem to know about it as well.
    if on contribution based esa but have low income

If you are on a low income you may be eligible to receive financial help through the NHS Low Income Scheme. To apply for an HC2 certificate, you should complete form HC1, which is available from Jobcentre Plus offices or most NHS hospitals. Your doctor, dentist or optician may be able to give you one, too. You can also get an HC1 form by calling 0845 610 1112.

Hello everyone,

Thank you.
    Given her age I doubt she has enough NIC to be eligible for CBESA only

I'm in support group and even when i was on ib i never got free prescriptions i've always had to fill out an hc1 form to get a hc2 certificate, you answer all the questions and just put a line through those that don't apply, it also covers you for glasses, sight tests and dentist too it usually comes through within 1-3weeks, you can get an hc1 at the opticians, on my hc2 it says you can get one at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/healthcosts