Thread: ESA and partners job

ESA and partners job

My partner is looking for full time work, at least 35 per week. I am on ESA support group getting £333 per 2 weeks for me and partner. We get full housing benefit except £9 a week water rates we have to pay. We also noe have to pay £10 a week countil tax. Does anyone know what ESA I would lose if my wife starting working full time. She last worked a few years ago when I still got full I.S for single person, but is it different know? I know I will lose ESA for her but I will I lose ALL my ESA as well and expect my wife to keep me as I am severly disabled as I said in support group, I know we will get working tax credits, she is looking at jobs at £14500 and has just been asked to go to an interview but if I lose ALL my ESA WE WILL BE WORSE OF ON JUST HER WAGE does anyone know what you get to keep on your ESA payments? I dont want het to go back to work and be struggling this is not right she does not have full health (awaiting hip replacement) but wants work, but not so that it will stress us out by not getting anything, we could not survive on one wage of hers at £900 a montha fter tax if all my ESA was stopped, I am disables and should still ber able to keep some to help us, please help if you know the system for ESA and working partners, thanks

If she works over 24 hours a week your ESA award is 100% income related, you'll lose every bit of it, but as you say, you may be able to get WTC. You may be able to get some HB and CTB as well. I find people are almost always financially better off working than on means-tested benefits. Get in touch with someone who can do a full means-tested benefit check and you'll probably find you're better off in work.

If your ESA award has an element of contributory benefit, you won't lose it just because your partner starts work.