Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: support group or work related activity group?

support group or work related activity group?

I'm just wondering whether or not i'm missing something here, perhaps the experienced ones amongst you could enlighten me? I'ts my understanding that if you're placed in the WRAG after being on IB, you still retain the same level of IB, just called ESA now, this also applies to the support group. The difference is that the wrag benefit is only paid for 365 days, then have to go through whole process again to receive ESA, wheras if in SG no time limit applies, is this right?

thats correct but only applies to contribution based payments in wrag once 365 days are up if you have no other income, savings, partner working 24 or more hours, personal pension, you will be assessed for income related payments you will need to ask dwp for form ESA3 in order to check eligibility and do it about 8 weeks before 365 days end in order to continue payments without a break

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by art446 View Post
    I'm just wondering whether or not i'm missing something here, perhaps the experienced ones amongst you could enlighten me? I'ts my understanding that if you're placed in the WRAG after being on IB, you still retain the same level of IB, just called ESA now, this also applies to the support group. The difference is that the wrag benefit is only paid for 365 days, then have to go through whole process again to receive ESA, wheras if in SG no time limit applies, is this right?
    once transfered if you are getting less on ib it goes up to the esa rate, if your getting more on ib than people get on esa you get this rate till people on esa catch up, its called transional protection. matters not in this case if it CB or IR IB / ESA

Hi art446, Your understanding is correct to a degree. Those placed in Support group, the 365 day time limit does not apply.

However, where I want to add information is that you do not (or should not) have to go through the whole process again, (as far as I understand it-if not somebody will correct this). This is dependant upon other income coming into the household. If there is no other income, you should be able to claim Income Related ESA. From memory and other posts on this site I think the form you need to obtain is ESA3 (think of this if you would as the old income support form).

There are people on ESA who receive, income related ESA, contribution based ESA, or even a calculation where their payment is made up of contribution based ESA topped up with income related ESA.

In addition not forgetting that if you are successfully awarded any amount of Income Related ESA this will 'passport' you to free prescriptions, housing and council tax benefit, fuel discounts.

Sure others will be able to add more to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post
    Hi art446, Your understanding is correct to a degree. Those placed in Support group, the 365 day time limit does not apply.

However, where I want to add information is that you do not (or should not) have to go through the whole process again, (as far as I understand it-if not somebody will correct this). This is dependant upon other income coming into the household. If there is no other income, you should be able to claim Income Related ESA. From memory and other posts on this site I think the form you need to obtain is ESA3 (think of this if you would as the old income support form).

There are people on ESA who receive, income related ESA, contribution based ESA, or even a calculation where their payment is made up of contribution based ESA topped up with income related ESA.

In addition not forgetting that if you are successfully awarded any amount of Income Related ESA this will 'passport' you to free prescriptions, housing and council tax benefit, fuel discounts.

Sure others will be able to add more to help you.
    Thanks for your replies, the reason why i am asking is that i've been on IB for over 20 years, had my ATOS assessment and waiting for the DM's decision (6 weeks now). I'll be 65 next May so only one year to go before i retire, i currently receive a works pension which i've also had for 20 years, my wife works 16 hours a week so i don't qualify for pension credit, so if the DM puts me in the WRAG i'll be quite happy. Just means i'll be twiddling my thumbs for a year and then i don't have to worry about all this crap again until 2015 when PIP assessments start. If on the other hand they decide after all this time i am fit to return to work (i don't think so) i can appeal and have a little extra to look forward to when i win the appeal. lol

@art446 - Is your IB taxable? If you were on Invalidity Benefit, your IB may not be taxable, but all contributory ESA is taxable, so if your ESA and work pension pushes you over 9440, you may have a tax liability (20% of anything over 9440).

The only reason to appeal your ESA decision in your case appears to be (a little bit) more money. Of course, if you appeal and it goes to a Tribunal, you'll probably be getting your state pension by then and not care about any backdated sums you could have got for the year (a few hundred pounds). There's also a chance you will be found fit for work, which is just not worth it at this point.

If I were you, I'd probably sit tight and wait for my State pension to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    @art446 - Is your IB taxable? If you were on Invalidity Benefit, your IB may not be taxable, but all contributory ESA is taxable, so if your ESA and work pension pushes you over 9440, you may have a tax liability (20% of anything over 9440).

The only reason to appeal your ESA decision in your case appears to be (a little bit) more money. Of course, if you appeal and it goes to a Tribunal, you'll probably be getting your state pension by then and not care about any backdated sums you could have got for the year (a few hundred pounds). There's also a chance you will be found fit for work, which is just not worth it at this point.

If I were you, I'd probably sit tight and wait for my State pension to come.
    In fact i do pay tax and always have done, i have no legal obligation to inform DWP of how much works pension i recieve as i have been in receipt of a works pension prior to 2001, till then i used to let them know what my pension was every year. I'll just have to wait and see what the decision is and then decide what i'll do, but i'm most certainly unemployable and i'm not motivated at all to return to work, or indeed fit enough, my GP has informed me as such. I've lived with pain on a daily basis for over 25 years now and am certainly not going to make it worse by even attempting to do any kind job, I'd be lying if i said i'm fit for work, because i know i'm not. it's not about the money as such it's more about the principle, JSA to me is not an option, so it's wrag,or SG for me , if not, then it's an appeal otherwise it makes me a 'scrounger' for the last 20 years.
    Last edited by art446; 04-19-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffLady View Post
    I think that's right, I went from Incapacity Benefits to ESA - then they reassessed and placed me in the Support Group. Having looked at my paper work no time limit (I think) and with the Support Group you no longer attend interviews, courses etc and get the addition money.
    RE-check your paper work, everyone is time limited on ESA, any where between 3months to 3years before re-assessment regardless whether WRAG or Support Group.

I have no experience of WRAG but presume it's no different to Support Group in this matter. The paperwork won't tell you the length of time before an anticipated assessment. However, if you telephone your DWP BDC then they will tell you.

It isn't contained in your award letter, the duration is awarded by the DWP Decision Maker (DM), found mine on ESA 56 doc. Has advised above ring em up or request all your paper work, you'll have everything then for future reference.