Thread: Carer's allowance , and what do I do if husband finds work?

Carer's allowance , and what do I do if husband finds work?

Hi All Good Evening,

I currently claim ESA in Support group think it is contributions based( was previously on incap and IS) my Husband is my carer and we claim tax credit's as we have one child.

He has been offered a job he cannot turn down , so I will lose my carer and wondered if I can claim for my 17 year old son to do it he is only in college 2 days a week and would this be viable. My care needs are mainly in the night time and in the morning when I get up!

My silly husband called the dole today explaining all this and telling them all our details and the man on the phone first response was and who is going to care for your wife now is that not your main concern!

So I am know very worried, this job means our income will increase by treble so he has to take this!! I am very worried

Sorry if I have made no sense

The DWP officer had no right to make that kind of judgement call when your husband phoned with what was a genuine enquiry. They would be quick enough to have a go at your husband about finding work if he WASN'T your official carer!
    But I'm sorry I'm jumping the gun a bit - just to clarify - you must be getting DLA Care at the middle or high rate yourself for your carer to receive Carers Allowance.
    If that is the case then yes your son should be able to claim Carers Allowance instead. However there are still rules for part time students and Carers Allowance which you will need to check. I don't have them to hand, but the hours of study are sometimes more than the actual hours in college. Any student grant will also have an effect, and your child tax credits would be affected as well.
    You must be clear though that it is up to your son to claim Carers - not you. He would be claiming in his own right and would cease to be a dependant.

Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    The DWP officer had no right to make that kind of judgement call when your husband phoned with what was a genuine enquiry. They would be quick enough to have a go at your husband about finding work if he WASN'T your official carer!
    But I'm sorry I'm jumping the gun a bit - just to clarify - you must be getting DLA Care at the middle or high rate yourself for your carer to receive Carers Allowance.
    If that is the case then yes your son should be able to claim Carers Allowance instead. However there are still rules for part time students and Carers Allowance which you will need to check. I don't have them to hand, but the hours of study are sometimes more than the actual hours in college. Any student grant will also have an effect, and your child tax credits would be affected as well.
    You must be clear though that it is up to your son to claim Carers - not you. He would be claiming in his own right and would cease to be a dependant.
    Thanks for the reply yes I receive middle rate care and low rate mobility! My son is at college full time for 2 days a week , I am shocked how the dwp spoke to my husband ! Do I have to claim carers allowance for someone my dad will help me on a daily basis but he is over 65 so do not think I can claim it for him ... I am concerned that they will wonder why I no longer claim for a carer and that they consider I am well to nit have to use a carer anymore am I over thinking this ...

Possibly. Not everyone on middle or high rate care DLA has a carer who claims carers allowance. Circumstances change, and people can make alternative arrangements. Would be a shame for your hubby to miss out on a well paid job, because of someone speaking out of turn at the DWP.

hi polly777 i get MCR but no-one claims cares allowance my family just all pitch in with the help so i think you'll be fine .but i understand you're concern with whats happening at the moment. don't let you're husband miss out on what sounds like a great job offer.

Quote Originally Posted by polly777 View Post
    Thanks for the reply yes I receive middle rate care and low rate mobility! My son is at college full time for 2 days a week , I am shocked how the dwp spoke to my husband ! Do I have to claim carers allowance for someone my dad will help me on a daily basis but he is over 65 so do not think I can claim it for him ... I am concerned that they will wonder why I no longer claim for a carer and that they consider I am well to nit have to use a carer anymore am I over thinking this ...
    It's complicated as your son claiming Carers Allowance will depend on how many hours he studies for each week. It has to be under 21 hours a week study which includes private study.

From the Gov.uk web site;

You may not get Carer’s Allowance if:

you’re in full-time education, and studying for 21 hours a week or more (this includes supervised study and things like coursework and experiments, not just time spent with a tutor)
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility