Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from IB to ESA Work Related

Moving from IB to ESA Work Related

Hi,
    I am hoping that someone can help me. I have done a lot of research to no avail.
    I receive an occupational pension due to disability & have been receiving IB for some time. I re-entered work (in a different capacity), unfortunately due to disablement had to leave.
    I have received IB for over 10 yrs-so it is not means tested.
    However, I have just been to a medical & have been transferred to the 'work related group'-available for approx a year. At the end of that time I will not receive any benefits, due to my pension.
    I feel (know) I am unfit for work & should have been put in the 'support group' I am at the moment trying to get all evidence to support my appeal.
    If I am successful - will I be means tested (remembering I was on a non means tested IB)?
    Any advice or information gratefully received.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by gaaron View Post
    Hi,
    I am hoping that someone can help me. I have done a lot of research to no avail.
    I receive an occupational pension due to disability & have been receiving IB for some time. I re-entered work (in a different capacity), unfortunately due to disablement had to leave.
    I have received IB for over 10 yrs-so it is not means tested.
    However, I have just been to a medical & have been transferred to the 'work related group'-available for approx a year. At the end of that time I will not receive any benefits, due to my pension.
    I feel (know) I am unfit for work & should have been put in the 'support group' I am at the moment trying to get all evidence to support my appeal.
    If I am successful - will I be means tested (remembering I was on a non means tested IB)?
    Any advice or information gratefully received.
    IF YOU feel you have strong case get your appeal in now dont wait you only have so long

If you can appeal your WRAG decision successfully and get placed in Support Group you will receive Contribution Based ESA as long as you remain there. I believe you're allowed other income/pension etc up to about 80 per week before there is an effect on that benefit.

Thankyou for your responses. I do feel I have a strong case, & am trying to gather 'evidence'. If it is means tested, due to my medical retired pension I will be losing all my IB & will end up in prison for non payment of rates/heating etc!

Thumbs up

The figure for your pension while in SG is 85 anything over and above that your benefit is then reduced by 50p per :

Have a look at the CAG forum it's really good for in depth issues about benefits, all the best and get your GL24 in ASAP.

I don't understand what SG or CAG is

SG is Support Group (ESA)

CAG is Consumer Action Group (a forum)

Never Forget GOOGLE is your best friend

Take advice re your appeal from an experienced advice agency.

From January to now I have only had about 5 clients go into the support group at appeal. I represent around 4 appeals a week typically. Unless you have went over all the support group descriptors in detail and are sure you have a case then you need advice. A tribunal can find you totally fit to work.

You can appeal, but remember, as glasgowadviser says, when you appeal you can either be placed in the support group, stay in the WRAG or be deemed fit for work. Generally, appeal tribunals give a warning if it looks like you will be found fit for work, but watch out. You have 13 months from the date of notification to challenge a decision, after which you can only get placed in the support group if you've got worse.

If you are placed in the Support Group, there is no time limiting for cESA, but occupational pensions over 85pw do affect the amount of benefit paid.

thanks again for responses, I do appreciate them I have spoken to CAB & they are helping me out. Seeing my doctor Monday. It will serve me right for not being 'open' about certain things that I keep to myself, through the fear of sounding stupid.
    There seems to be conflicting advise on whether Support Group is means tested. I agree that if my IB was means tested then, yes. But, I received IB since when it wasn't means tested, but do pay tax. CAB have said if I get into the Support Group it won't be (they know all financial details etc). ..& I would def not receive any benefits after the 1yr cap on WRAG. I do know there will be some sort of freeze on it though.
    Last edited by gaaron; 05-19-2013 at 03:23 PM.