Thread: Diy

Diy

When you're physically disabled the simplest of DIY jobs can be a nightmare and in the end I have to pay over the odds just to get someone in to help out.

Unlucky for me not many of my relatives that live locally have 'practical skills'.I have the know how but it's no longer safe for me to do them. You don't need to be talented to paint walls but again I can't paint about shoulder height and in the end have to pay a decorator to come in.

I had a new fireplace installed yesterday but my home is now chaos! Dust everywhere, carpet half rolled up, furniture and TV stored in the dining area - great!

The skirting board needs repairing, the carpet needs repairing, the woodwork and walls need cleaning down and painting. Furniture cushions etc are stored in different rooms - chaos.

Is there some charitable organisation that you know about that could perhaps lend a hand as it's an expensive business being disabled!

Why not ring Age Concern and ask if they know of any oganisations/groups that could help?

Know exactly what you mean.We 've just had bathroom turned into a wet room which involved knocking a wall out 'My god i've never seen so much dust but it'll stay where it is til i feel up to moving it and if anyone who visits says anything i'll shove a duster in there hands lol.We have to put 2 strips of wallpaper on which 18 months ago would'nt of been a problem but now we have to wait until we can get a family member to find time to come and do it.It's so flippin frustrating.

Do you have a care & repair in your area, they may be able to help LT

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    Do you have a care & repair in your area, they may be able to help LT
    Yes AP I phoned them and they said there's a big backlog due to the bank holidays and royal wedding. If I wanted TV, etc moving I'll have to wait six weeks! Decorators are chosen because they can prove that they have the relevant qualifications but they charge the standard rates.

So I've decided to pay people to do things. A carpet fitter is turning up Wednesday morning and will 'dodge repair' and refit my carpet.

This lunchtime Emma, a DIY Woman popped it - she's very versatile and creative. She charges 105 a day - two days work plus paint costs but she'll rehang the three sets of curtains which were cleaned for the foirst time in 10 years - they've come up a treat. She's even suggested a different colour for a 'feature wall' - very posh. So I'm going with that but she can't start until a week on Monday - my lodger will be pleased - he'll be wanting a rebate at this stage.

Yes Emma, the decorator, has actually got a Master's in Business Studies and is studying a drgree in fashion. Her hair is bright pink - well you can't miss her in a crowd. She's just going through a divorce and is being evicted from her home next month as the landlord is selling the house.

Isn't it interesting to find out what's happening in other peoples lives.

Why not try your local council they may be able help you

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
    Why not try your local council they may be able help you
    Hi Jellybean,

Yes I phoned the council and I was put through to a centre for independent living. They sympathized but had no solution.

http://trafforddisability.org/factsheets

Organisations such as Rotary (and their younger subsidiary Rotoract), Round Table and Lions are often willing to offer help like this. All of these groups have clubs in most large towns.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    Organisations such as Rotary (and their younger subsidiary Rotoract), Round Table and Lions are often willing to offer help like this. All of these groups have clubs in most large towns.
    Hi Keith,

You know you're probably right. As I've been lucky enough to have been in employment I've always paid people to do jobs for me because if I waited for a relative it would never happen.

I just had a great carpet fitter come around this morning who did a great 'patch up' job on my lounge carpet, cleared the debri up, vacumed up and put my TV/stand etc back in place. Took him 90 minutes but only wanted 40 which is a lot cheaper than buying a new carpet. Very friendly, easy to chat to and someone you'd recommend as most trade is done by word of mouth.

Now I have to watch the pennies I think I will start thinking about using these organisations and in return maybe I can do something for them - sort of bartering.

Thanks for your comments that's really useful.