Thread: 13 week assessment period for ESA?

13 week assessment period for ESA?

Hiya,
    I put in a new claim for esa, probably about 15/16 weeks ago, having had a previous claim turned down after appeal(for a different illness).
    I was due to attend an Atos assessment next week but received a letter yesterday cancelling the appointment, so don't now know when I'm to attend?
    I understood that after 13 weeks that I was to be placed either in a wrag or support group, and, that the 71 benefit was to be increased?
    Is the 13 week period stipulated dependent on the result of the atos assessment i.e. do I have to wait until Atos can 'see' me before I get assigned to the wrag or support group, or, have to appeal against the decision - and will I have to stay on a measly 71 'til then?
    Any help would be appreciated.

at present you are deemed to have (LCW) limited capability for work,
    you must now be found to have LCW either by them accepting what you put on esa50 or by having face to face assessment until that happens you will get 71 assessment rate.

did the letter just say cancelled, or no need for you to go

Once a decision is made by the DWP, if it is the WRAG or the Support Group, this decision will be take effect from the beginning of week 14 of your claim.

Therefore any extra money owed as a result of the award will be paid from the beginning of week 14 also, as back pay.

Thanks for your replies.
    the letter in fact said "I am writing to advise that due to unforeseen / changed circumstances (tried reading something into that?!), this appointment has been cancelled...."
    So this means, according to your replies, that it's at the whim of Atos, when they deem to rearrange an assessment, as to when/if I'll eventually get an increase in benefit!

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Thanks for your replies.
    the letter in fact said "I am writing to advise that due to unforeseen / changed circumstances (tried reading something into that?!), this appointment has been cancelled...."
    So this means, according to your replies, that it's at the whim of Atos, when they deem to rearrange an assessment, as to when/if I'll eventually get an increase in benefit!
    There was actually a legal argument that was successfully used in just this situation.

Unfortunately the DWP changed the legislation in April, to deny this loophole.

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewreply/21142/

So it now looks like DWP and ATOS can take as long as they want.
    Last edited by vikstar; 08-10-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Thanks for your replies.
    The first thing that I would do is contact ATOS, and check that they still intend to carry out a f2f. Sometimes they cancel a f2f as they have decided that they can make a recommendation without one.

If this is the case, they would have returned your file to the DWP , it would then be the DWP that makes the decision on the ESA award.

ATOS can be contacted on their web page under WCA Customer Service.

http://www.atoshealthcare.com/claimants

Here is another ATOS number. 0113 230 9175

If they are still going to carry out a f2f, and you want one quickly, you could offer to take an appointment that someone else has cancelled, at short notice. Normally ATOS have to give you at least 7 days written notice, unless you agree otherwise.
    Last edited by vikstar; 08-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.

thanks for the further replies and advice.

I'm assuming that I'm still due for assessment because further in the letter they say they'll contact me, "when a new appointment can be arranged"
    (btw the appointment next week perhaps would have been ideal as just at present I'm suffering a chronic bout of arthritis in my feet making it impossible for me to walk, but I'd have got down to the 'assessment' someway just to show them the pain I'm in - the things we have to do to try and prove we're ill!)