Thread: Applying for PIP

Applying for PIP

Hi Folks
    We are new to all of this, we have never claimed for any benefits until about 18 months ago, we don't really understand the system. Any help anybody could offer on applying for PIP would be really useful. We applied for DLA about 18 months ago, but didn't even get a reply although we chased it up regularly. We gave up in the end, but we really need help now. I have just found this forum and I'm hoping you can help us.

My husband has has osteoarthritis in his hip, knee, back, shoulder, neck and now her has a degenerative spine disorder. He also suffers from depression and anxiety. He sees hospital consultants/psychologists for all of these disorders, so its all recorded and diagnosed. He receives industrial disability benefit for hearing loss due to his former occupation, but thats all he gets. I work full time (and more) to keep us going, but my health is suffering with the strain of it all.
    We need help.
    Debs

As PIP is quite new, there are not many who have claimed it yet. There are some threads on the forum about PIP and I am sure someone on here would be able to advise you.
    I would say to you to contact DWP and get it confirmed that your previous claim for DLA is not still in the system somewhere. You would not be able to claim PIP if this is the case.
    Try and get some help and advice from CAB, or another organisation on filling in the forms if you can. Provide as much evidence and support as you can with your claim.
    Good luck.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

OMG: "We applied for DLA about 18 months ago, but didn't even get a reply although we chased it up regularly. We gave up in the end".

You MUST contact them and demand action for this. IMO, you really need to know where that DLA claim form is.

Quote Originally Posted by ivb View Post

You MUST contact them and demand action for this. IMO, you really need to know where that DLA claim form is.
    We have tried so many times, they say they will write to us but we never get a letter. I really do not have the energy to chase it any more. We have applied for PIP, they have accepted our claim and we are in the process of completing the form about how the effects on my husband. They have never acknowledged our previous claim, although I know they received it because I have discussed it with them.

What I need to know now is the best way to complete the form. I think we may have not completed it properly last time we applied, it's the only thing I can think of. Is there any organisation who can help us to compete the form?
    Thanks for your help
    Debs

You could try CAB or any similar organisation in your area to help complete the application form.

Best of Luck with it