Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i get financial entitlement to buy a mobility scooter

can i get financial entitlement to buy a mobility scooter

I am unable to walk very far at all now and am on attendance allowance. Am I entitled to any financial aid from any of the servies to get a straight forward mobility scooter?

Simple answer is basically, no. You can do what I did and get one on ebay.....jolly god deal at £99!

However if you get DLA mobility component, I believe that instead of using it for a car you can use it to buy a mobility scooter.

Doubtless someone will correct me if this is wrong.

Thank you, Susan.
    Ebay sounds a good idea and I shall visit there.
    This week I got in contact with my local Occupational Therapists and indeed I was told I could use a mobility allowance, which I have not yet currently made use of as I had no car, to use this to help towards a scooter.
    Thank you again.

If you get AA it means you have reached either 60 or 65 and therefore not entitled to DLA. There are always people selling them in local papers too or a local mobility shop may have adverts for second hand ones or even supermarkets.

Good luck

Shopmobility

If you need help getting around big city centres or shopping malls there may be a shopmobility scheme running in your area. On proof of your address they will loan you a three or four wheel scooter which you can use from 9 'til 5pm for free or for a few pounds.

Don't forget that there may also be a dial-a-ride scheme running local to you - ask your local council.

Yes don't buy a brand new scooter if you prefer that route - there are plenty of bargains to be had on ebay as mentioned.
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=...All-Categories

PS I'd advise getting or using a four wheeler as they are less likely to tip over.

Let us know what you do. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    If you get AA it means you have reached either 60 or 65 and therefore not entitled to DLA. There are always people selling them in local papers too or a local mobility shop may have adverts for second hand ones or even supermarkets.

Good luck
    I have a query here. My mother does not get AA, but is 67 & she gets DLA. Can you clarify your point? Are you saying you cannot get DLA if yoy get AA & are over 60/65 or that you cannot get DLA if over that age? There are so may benefits, & you cannnot get B if you get A, but can get A if you get C but only if you claim G first.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi Stephen

I have no training in benefits and I only know what I have picked up along the way, but I do know that because your mum is already on DLA she will stay on DLA, but if she was applying for benefits now she would apply for AA.

Does that make sense ?

I know benefits are confusing and nobody wants to tell you anything and it is just a matter of coming onto sites like this to find out what you need to know. I hope I have cleared that up for you

Andy

TY Andy, this I did not know, yetI did know it. It is all too confusing at times. No one has really mentioned this to us before. I notice that AA is a lot lower than DLA too.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    TY Andy, this I did not know, yetI did know it. It is all too confusing at times. No one has really mentioned this to us before. I notice that AA is a lot lower than DLA too.
    That is because there is no mobility component of AA. The care amount of AA is the same as that of the care component of DLA.

Now you say it, it makes sense. So they are saying that disabled people over pension age do not need caring for? I shall tell my mother that as obviously she is breaking the law in claiming she does & in getting the MRC of DLA!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen