Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into Support Group of ESA

Getting into Support Group of ESA

Hi,
    can anyone give me some advice on ESA please?
    I am due to have a medical next week,am currently on IB.One of my conditions is epilepsy which drugs have failed to control and 5 or 6 times a month I am totally out of it,I don't pass out but I do lose the ability to move,speak or understand anyone,I also have a complete loss of bladder during these episodes,does anyone know if I meet any of the descriptors to qualify for the Support Group please?

do the test here and see how you go

At least once a month experiences (i) loss of control leading to voiding of the bladder = 15 points

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzies View Post
    Hi,
    I am due to have a medical next week,am currently on IB.One of my conditions is epilepsy which drugs have failed to control and 5 or 6 times a month I am totally out of it,I don't pass out but I do lose the ability to move,speak or understand anyone,I also have a complete loss of bladder during these episodes,does anyone know if I meet any of the descriptors to qualify for the Support Group please?
    loss of control of the bladder or bowels once a month is worth 15 points loss of control once a week of bowel or bladder gets you in the support group BUT I think if you look in the new regulations they DONT count it if you lose control during a fit.
    I will look it up and post the link

Yes davewhit you are correct in saying if you lose control of your bladder during a fit it is not counted in the new regulations,so support group does not qualify a person on this basis alone with epilepsy.

Perhaps you need to look at your other health issues Benzies and see if you might fit the support group criteria on these.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by pam s View Post
    Yes davewhit you are correct in saying if you lose control of your bladder during a fit it is not counted in the new regulations,so support group does not qualify a person on this basis alone with epilepsy.

Perhaps you need to look at your other health issues Benzies and see if you might fit the support group criteria on these.
    Pam do you know where its wrote in the regulations ??? I have looked and looked but cant find it

I'll have a look might take some time davewhit but it's definitely there.

taken from the ESA claims on physical health grounds-a guide to the work capability assessment pg52 of 71.

FITS- Handbook advises no points should be awarded for incontinence during a fit because 'A fit happens during a period where there is altered consciousness so incontinence will not itself affect functioning.'
    There does not appear anything in the legislation to prevent points being scored both for a fit and for an episode of incontinence occuring at the same time .May have to go to a tribunal.[Benefits and Work forum]

Quote Originally Posted by Benzies View Post
    Hi,

Hi Benzies,

How did you get on last year related to your condition of Epilepsy?
    Did you pass the test?
    If so what group did they put you in?

I am expecting my form shortly and have the same health condition Epilepsy!

hi
    I've got this from the Benefits and Work website which is useful for finding out what helps people get onto the support group

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/emp...up-descriptors

This is one of those chicken and egg things that the DWP are so good at messing up.
    The issue is the epilepsy, losing bladder control during a fit "should" not be the issue. Usually this nonsense is put right by those handling your claim.