Thread: just got married help!!!

Hybrid View

just got married help!!!

Hi My partner and I have just got married and are about to move in with each other. I am on full incapacity benefit with no income support and he is on ESA. I get 216 a fortnight and he gets 196 a fortnight I would like to know how being married and moving in together effects me? As I get full incapacity beneift I have to pay towards my rent and council tax. I have no idea how it works when you live with someone and am also worried that they will take there time sorting out the benefits and because I have to pay rent and council tax will get into arrears because of how long they will take sorting out change of circumstances. Also does the amount change considerably now theres two of you?

Any help and advice would be great thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by greenslade98 View Post
    Hi My partner and I have just got married and are about to move in with each other. I am on full incapacity benefit with no income support and he is on ESA. I get 216 a fortnight and he gets 196 a fortnight I would like to know how being married and moving in together effects me? As I get full incapacity beneift I have to pay towards my rent and council tax. I have no idea how it works when you live with someone and am also worried that they will take there time sorting out the benefits and because I have to pay rent and council tax will get into arrears because of how long they will take sorting out change of circumstances. Also does the amount change considerably now theres two of you?

Any help and advice would be great thank you in advance.
    Well hello and congratulations - hope you spend many happy years together. I'd like to help but I'm sure there are more experienced people on this site who could advise. The only thing I'd say is get in touch with JCP to explain your new circumstances. Honesty is the best policy.

Nice to have some good news.

I don't have the figures handy at the moment to give the 'couple' rate for Income Support, but whether you qualify for any Income Support as a couple is going to depend on whether your husband gets contribution based ESA or not. One thing you really shouldn't do is delay letting the DWP and Local Authority know about your change of circumstances, and give them the date you expect to move in together.
    It does sound as if he is going to be moving in with you. You need the new calculation doing for rent purposes as soon as possible so that you know what you are up against. If you end up getting some Income Support as a couple you should be OK (especially if you are in Council or Social Housing) but if not you will have your husbands income to the household as well as your own.
    The Council will also need to know because if you have been living alone you will of course lose your 25% reduction - again if you get IS as a couple that won't matter - and you shouldn't get into arrears with the CT providing you are continuing to pay what is due as a single person. If any arrears of CT did happen to occur the amount owing would be spread over the remaining months of the CT year.
    Just let them know a date as soon as possible. If your husband is in his own rented accomodation - getting Housing Benefit - and needing to give notice on his property - he should ask whether he can get some overlapping Housing Benefit to cover his move.