Thread: Coming off benefits

Coming off benefits

This might seem like a silly question but I was wondering how I go about getting off benefits.

I am getting DLA and income support, I have a 3 year award for DLA which entitles me to IS.
    What is the correct way to do it and should I contact the DLA in Blackpool?

I would think long and hard before giving up benefits. Have you been well long enough to be sure ? You just write to Blackpool and explain your situation, but please make sure you are doing the right thing. ie is there chance you could have a relapse with your condition ?

As long as you are sure and 100% fit yes write to Blackpool.

Glad you are feeling better

Andy

Sarah - it isn't the 3 year award of DLA which gives you entitlement to IS - it is the level of DLA Care Component, which must be at the middle or even higher rate. Unless of course you have other reasons for IS entitlement such as getting Incapacity Benefit/ESA or a single parent with young children.
    So please consider your situation very carefully. Sure, as AndyPandy says, if you are 100% fit then let Blackpool know about your change of circumstances. But if the only reason for your IS is the DLA thats a big reduction in care needs. And if you also get IB or ESA questions would be asked about that as well I'm sure.
    Have you thought about talking to your GP about it first? Do you feel able to sign on as fit for work? (If you are on your own or have older children.) And don't forget that DLA can be claimed by people who are able to do some work - and that in 2013 DLA will stop anyway and you would need to claim the new PIP then.

Well it is something I have wanted to do for a long time now and yes I have spent many hours thinking about it.
    I have to do it for my own sanity. It is actually making my mental state worse by not working.
    So writing to the DLA at Blackpool is the correct procedure and they will tell the DWP/income support?

Carneucopia, on my forms it says that I am entitled to IS for as long as I am sick. I only get lower level DLA.
    No IB or ESA or children.

I want to get off IS and DLA and go back to work. There is no way I want to wait until my award runs out or the new PIP arrives.

If you just get the lower rate Care Component of DLA - and have no children - and are not signing on - then there must be another reason for you to be getting Income Support. Sorry - but there must be. End of story. Income Support always has a reason.
    Maybe you don't realise that IB is included in your Income Support? Maybe you got the original Invalidity Benefit? Or maybe you get Severe Disablement Allowance? There has to be something in there which is giving you IS entitlement.
    Whatever it is then yes - if you tell Blackpool that you no longer want DLA then you should also let the DWP know for the purpose of your IS. In a perfect world there should be no need to do this, but better safe than sorry.
    So at that stage you should be told whatever it is that is keeping you on IS. And if you give up on whatever that is as well you will need to sign on as available for work in order to get anything at all to live on while you find a job. And that will be IS. Back to square one I'm afraid. The bottom line is that, much as you may want to get back into work, if there is no other income you are left with Income Support to tide you over.

Thanks for the help Carneucopia.

I was thinking I should write to Blackpool to let them know.
    Do you know if there would be a form for me to fill in?

No but they might send you a statement to sign just to confirm. It isn't a situation that advisors come across very often!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahM70 View Post
    Thanks for the help Carneucopia.

I was thinking I should write to Blackpool to let them know.
    Do you know if there would be a form for me to fill in?
    You have to tell each benefit office you are claiming from about any work you do. So, tell Income Support, tell the local Housing Benefit office and tell DLA.