Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP success story and some reflections

PIP Mobility component - consequential entitlements

Vehicle Excise Duty exemption / reduction (free / half price tax disc) and Motability

All those getting the enhanced rate of the PIP Mobility component are entitled to Vehicle Excise Duty exemption (free tax disc) on one vehicle and Motability.

All those getting the standard rate of the PIP Mobility component are entitled to 50% Vehicle Excise Duty reduction (half price tax disc) on one vehicle. They are not entitled to Motability.

Motability require those taking out an agreement to have at least 12 months enhanced rate Mobility remaining at the start of the agreement.

The DWP sent a certificate of entitlement for vehicle licensing purposes as part of my PIP award letter, which I would expect to be standard practice for all receiving the Mobility component.

PIP and Blue Badge entitlement without further assessment - general

Automatic Blue Badge entitlements based on PIP are more complex than the position with DLA (where higher rate Mobility meant a Blue Badge entitlement without further assessment and lower rate Mobility did not).

With PIP, it is the scores under the Mobility activities that determine your right to a Blue Badge without further assessment, not the rate of Mobility component. If you qualify for a Blue Badge without further assessment on the basis of PIP, you are expected to produce proof of the points awarded, which might mean obtaining an up to date PIP Statement of Entitlement. I believe the eventual intention is to allow councils to check PIP entitlements directly with DWP.

A further complexity is that Blue Badges are a devolved matter, which has led to the link between PIP and Blue Badges depending on where you live.

As with DLA, you have to apply for a Blue Badge, even if you are entitled to one without further assessment. The length of the Blue Badge awarded on the basis of PIP will be 3 years or the remaining length of your PIP award, whichever is shorter.

The best way to apply for a Blue Badge is online - click your country to start the process: England, Wales, Scotland.

PIP and Blue Badge entitlement without further assessment - England

Anyone living in England who scores 8 points or more on the PIP 'moving around' activity (walking ability 50m or less) is entitled to a Blue Badge without further assessment.

PIP and Blue Badge entitlement without further assessment - Scotland and Wales

The Scottish and Welsh governments both decided to take a more liberal approach than England, meaning there are two routes to a Blue Badge without further assessment based on PIP.

Anyone living in Scotland or Wales who scores 8 points or more on the PIP 'moving around' activity (walking ability 50m or less) or who scores 12 points on the PIP 'planning and following journeys' (cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid) activity is entitled to a Blue Badge without further assessment.

DLA to PIP conversion - effect on mobility entitlements

Some people will lose mobility entitlements on conversion from DLA to PIP.

Those with higher rate Mobility DLA who fail to get enhanced rate Mobility PIP lose their Vehicle Excise Duty exemption and Motability entitlements, though they will get an entitlement to 50% Vehicle Excise Duty reduction if they get standard rate Mobility PIP.

I would expect any Vehicle Excise Duty exemption certificate based on DLA to be invalidated on the DWP computer once a DLA award is cancelled on PIP conversion. At the very least, anyone losing this exemption should expect to be unable to renew their nil rate tax disc because they no longer have a valid exemption certificate.

I believe anyone losing Vehicle Excise Duty exemption is supposed to return their nil rate tax disc and make other arrangements (relicence their vehicle in a duty paid category, declare SORN or dispose of the vehicle by sale, gift or scrapping).

Those losing their entitlement to Motability on conversion to PIP will be dealt with under Motability's transitional support arrangements.

Those losing their entitlement to a Blue Badge without further assessment under the PIP regime have the right to keep their existing Blue Badge until it expires. If necessary, they can attempt to renew their Blue Badge via the assessment route when their Blue Badge expires.
    Last edited by Flymo; 02-17-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added additional detail and links

50% reduction on tax disc with lower rate pip mobility

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    50% reduction on tax disc with lower rate pip mobility
    Thank you for the reminder. I have now edited my earlier post to include mention of that concession, which I had omitted inadvertently.

Thanks for the write up Flymo.
    Strangely enough the bullet points and the way you have written is very very similar to how I have set out my daughters ESA (which she has yet to go through).
    Her PIP will be from 2015 as she has been on DlA for 20years high rate both componants.
    Pleased you did well and thanks for sharing it with us.
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    Strangely enough the bullet points and the way you have written is very very similar to how I have set out my daughters ESA (which she has yet to go through).
    I'm a great believer in using a structured approach to setting out your points. It sounds as if you are too.

I probably should prepare my answers to the ESA50, so that I'm ready when I receive the inevitable form. The problem is that I don't know when I should expect it, also I'm feeling a bit fed up with the benefits system and really want a break from it now that I've got my PIP sorted. There's so much else I need to be getting on with.

Thanks for your kind words. You've got some time yet before you need to start preparing for your daughter's PIP claim in earnest, but part of the intention behind this thread was to get some good quality information into people's hands about PIP, in the hope that would dispel fear.

I wish you your daughter well in the benefits transitions you have yet to face. I think this is an unnerving time for all in the affected groups.

@flymo

I have copied and pasted lots of info from here and B&W (I am a member on there).
    It's all in my documents for me to take reference from.
    We would be floundering around without sites like this where info is shared.
    Sea Queen

You mention 'change of circumstances' as being a trigger factor. Would this include say a change of address? I must be one of the few (SDA) that have been left till last and want to keep it that way.

A change of address isn't considered a 'change of circumstance', though you obviously have to inform them of it. What they mean by that are things that relate directly to your medical condition or financial situation.

Starting a new PIP claim

Starting a new PIP claim

Most people will start a new PIP claims by phoning 0800 917 2222, though there is a different system for those who cannot use the phone and there will be a different number for those who live in Northern Ireland when PIP starts to be rolled out there in Spring 2014.

When you phone to claim, the advisor will take you through the 'administrative' questions about where you live, your bank account and so on. Most people will then be posted a personalised PIP2 How your disability affects you questionnaire.

You can see an example PIP2 on gov.uk, but you must use the personalised form you are sent. There is no downloadable PIP2 to complete on screen, unfortunately. However, there is nothing stopping you answering the questions in a separate document (as I did - see 'The PIP2 questionnaire - my approach' section of my first post in this thread).