Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a question about designated Disabled WCs

Quote Originally Posted by phyzzezee View Post
    I don't think you can have read the two or three blog posts where I explain in detail why the majority of toilet pedestal heights cause me great difficulty. I gave links to the two which detail my problem in my initial post. Yes I can stand, and yes I can walk short distances but many of my problems revolve around sitting down and getting up again.

The point I am trying to make is that by providing much needed Disabled WCs that cater for the needs of primarily wheelchair users providers need to be aware that some people such as myself are still not actually being catered for. Fortunately the architect who desgned the recently re-furbished facility at Bradford University did understand the wider requirements and I only wish others would too, but if other disabled people even cannot understand and sympathise my difficulties then it's going to be an even longer battle than I first suspected.

I'm pleased that the provision of disabled loos has given you your social life back and I appreciate that one toilet will not suit all but please recognise and spare a thought for those of us who are not yet generally provided for away from our own homes.
    There is no need to get "stressy" you asked for peoples opinions and opinions were given. If only every toilet, every hotel room, every piece of equipment suited EVERY disabled person then great, but then what about people who are shorter and taller than average they must face challenges too

So its not a case of other disabled people not understanding we are ALL different and cannot and should not be classed as "disabled"

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    There is no need to get "stressy" you asked for peoples opinions and opinions were given. If only every toilet, every hotel room, every piece of equipment suited EVERY disabled person then great, but then what about people who are shorter and taller than average they must face challenges too

So its not a case of other disabled people not understanding we are ALL different and cannot and should not be classed as "disabled"
    Thank you but I am not stressed rather disappointed that the OP replied thus:
    "Am wondering in what way you find the disabled loos a problem? Your photo looks a though you can stand ok so perhaps you could be more specific in query of lack of accessability?" The other person had obviously looked at the first link only yet was asking me to be more specific when the specifics were actually within the two blog post links which I also provided. I realise however that many people cannot spend long periods online reading stuff.

I didn't so much ask for opinions but rather as follows:
    "I would welcome answers and comments from anyone who reads this either here or on the following blog posts:

http://phyzzezee.wordpress.com/2011/...not-going-out/

http://phyzzezee.wordpress.com/2011/...general-guide/

Regarding your final sentence this is precisely the point I was endeavouring to make! I know there are others besides myself whose needs are currently not being considered or catered for in the vast majority of public and domestic places.

I really don't want to get into an argument about the use of language as I am well aware of ALL the arguments ! It's a problem I was trying to avert when I posted this
    http://phyzzezee.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/words/
    I was careful to attach the word 'disabled' to the 'designated wcs' rather than the people except where I said "but if other disabled people". I suppose to make this pc I should have said "but if other people who self-identify disabled" , but it does rather make discussion a bit long-winded. How would you like to see these specially adapted toilets designated then?

The other person did at least answer my orignal questions by saying that the pedestal height was fine for her personally, so she's presumably got functioning knees . I am still hoping though to get more than one answer to my original questions which were as follows:
    "Is the WC pedestal at the optimum height for most people? I'm guessing that the height is correct for people who need to transfer accross from their wheelchair, but I don't KNOW if this is the actual reasoning behind how these cubicles are appointed. Presumably some percentage of wheelchair users are able to stand up and walk a few steps to use the toilet once inside the cubicle? Is the height of the pedestal ever a problem?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    To be fair AP they're not exclusive to wheelchair users? I couldn't manage in an ordinary cubicle and I suspect others can't either?

I think the question phyzzeze was asking was is the WC pedestal at the optimum height for most people? Personally I find it is and I suspect it is at a comparable height as it is impossible to cater for all disabilities. Somewhere in the middle I would guess, neither too low nor too high!
    Thank you for this answer which is genuinely appreciated.

I'm currently finding it necessary now to carry a tape measure since judging a pedestal height by eye is really difficult. What I'm wanting to actually ascertain is whether the height is "somewhere in the middle" and whether all Disabled loos actually have toilet seats at the same height. The only two I have measured to date have been 16" which is I believe actually probably a bit on the low side for most people. I'd like to know if any exist at 17" which I believe would serve the general populace (especially women!) better, but I don't know if this would disdvantage some wheelchair users because of the heights of their chairs? I shall keep measuring. Until the last decade or two I believe the general height of toilet seats was around 17" as many older WCs seem to measure that but crazily, as we as a population have grown taller the toilets, especially in new-build homes, have got lower

Have you tried sitting down? I am not in a wheelchair, but I usually use disabled toilets as I cannot stand for long, I cannot balance well. I need to sit down almost always & need hand rails to do this usually.

I have never thought of this, but I would assume a disabled toilet is lower to make it easier for a wheelchair user to transfer to & fro.
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 09-28-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I agree - disabled loo's are a godsend - however, I have problems getting up and down and some pedestals are too low for me. Even with the rails provided I have problems because I am unable to put weight throught my hands and arms to help myself up. On the whole though they are great!

Yes I agree, getting up & down is an issue for me too. I have a drop-down handrail that is at the right height for me, yet I still often have trouble. I sometimes have to plan it, lol.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

You wouldn't believe some of the 'plans' I have in reserve lol

I am sure we could have a contest on that one!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I have just caught up with this thread and it certainly resonates with me. I have a degenerate muscle disease and find it very difficult to get up. I the early days, a number of times I found myself thinking ' Oh no, I cannot get up and I am locked in the loo'. I now station my husband outside the unlocked door. So many seats are too low for me as I need a 4" riser at home. I am sure the seats could be raised a little as not all users of disasbled toilets are in a wheelchairs. Of course I may change my mind when I eventually have to use a wheelchair myself!!
    Irene

If toilets are designed as standard, the question to be asked how to they decide this? Do they test it wish disabled people these days? Do they find out the needs of the average disabled person? Of course it is impossible to meet everyone's needs, but if disabled people in general need a higher seat then this needs to be considered.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen