Thread: PIP Appointment - How long should I wait?

PIP Appointment - How long should I wait?

Hello
    I'm new to this forum, so appologies if this is a stupid question.

I applied for PIP on 1 August. They finally agreed I needed an assessment in October and I'm still waiting for an appointment to come through. I have called ATOS twice a week since then, asking for any cancellations or timescales and I'm getting nowhere.

Is this normal? Should I just wait for the letter to come through? Do you think this is a long time?

I'm also concerned that I was a bit niave when I filled the form in and didnt get any advice beforehand. My condition has got worse since I filled the form in. Do they only go off what was written down, or do I get to answer the questions again as they affect me today?

Many thanks for your help

Hi I'm new to this too I applied in September 2013 ,Im still waiting for atos. I understand that sadly this is quite normal,the backlog is immense evidently,so I think it is a waiting game ..sadly

The delays for assessment are, indeed, lengthy. The delay depends partly on which assessment provider and which area you live in. If you want more of a feeling about the delays in your area and the possibility of some pressure being put on the assessment provider on your behalf, I would contact your MP's office.

I've posted a lot of information about PIP in a previous thread.

Kaff79 - the assessment should consider all the time from your claim to the date of the assessment, as well as looking towards the future.

If you wish to bolster your original submission or report a change in circumstances, you can do so at the assessment, but it would seem better to make a supplementary written submission, which should be as specific as possible about dates if you are reporting a change in circumstances since you submitted the original claim.

I would call the helpline number on any of the letters you have been sent about PIP to check what address you should send any supplementary submission to. Don't forget to obtain proof of postage just in case the submission goes missing and you need to prove when it was sent.

I would also take a copy of your supplementary submission to your face to face assessment in case it hasn't made its way through the system to the assessor. I was asked at my face to face assessment if there was any supplementary information I wished to hand over and be incorporated into my claim - I believe this is normal practice.

Thats brilliant advice Flymo, thanks. I've seen quite a few different doctors and had new injuries caused by my disability since I applied, so I will document that and send it off.

thanks a lot