Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if I'd qualify for DLA

Not sure if I'd qualify for DLA

Hi folks, this is my first post here

I have tried to claim DLA in the past (Last year) but I was turned down. I just left it at that. I didn't get any help with the form whatsoever.

I have a long standing chronic back problem that dates back to over 15 years or so. I've been taking various medications over that period of time. Right now I'm on 3 x 300mg of Gabapentin daily, 2 x 500mg Naproxen daily and 20mcg's of Butrans patch weekly. None of these pills/patches take away the pain, but if I was to stop them, I sure do know they do something, I'm basically a cripple.

My lower back hurts to the point where it's debilitating and it's affecting my legs and feet (according to podiatrist). I look quite fit, other than a bit of a belly But if I overdo whatever I need to do, I'm laid up for days as I just can't move, but I can do it in the first place. That's what I said on my last DLA application and I think that's why they turned me down

I can walk (with pain), but I'm crippled afterwards and can't actually bend my back to sit down. I can cook, but the same happens, I can't bend to sit again. The pain in my legs keeps me awake at night and I don't know what I can do to help them. The pain in my feet feels like there's stones in my shoes it's that painful. If I'm hurting bad, I just stand in the shower and just try and wash whatever I can reach without too much pain.

But anyway, sorry for the long winded post, I do babble on lol. Do you think I should try again and try and re-word it in a different way? Or better still get some help to fill it in?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Account deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammy View Post
    Hi folks, this is my first post here

I have tried to claim DLA in the past (Last year) but I was turned down. I just left it at that. I didn't get any help with the form whatsoever.

I have a long standing chronic back problem that dates back to over 15 years or so. I've been taking various medications over that period of time. Right now I'm on 3 x 300mg of Gabapentin daily, 2 x 500mg Naproxen daily and 20mcg's of Butrans patch weekly. None of these pills/patches take away the pain, but if I was to stop them, I sure do know they do something, I'm basically a cripple.

My lower back hurts to the point where it's debilitating and it's affecting my legs and feet (according to podiatrist). I look quite fit, other than a bit of a belly But if I overdo whatever I need to do, I'm laid up for days as I just can't move, but I can do it in the first place. That's what I said on my last DLA application and I think that's why they turned me down

I can walk (with pain), but I'm crippled afterwards and can't actually bend my back to sit down. I can cook, but the same happens, I can't bend to sit again. The pain in my legs keeps me awake at night and I don't know what I can do to help them. The pain in my feet feels like there's stones in my shoes it's that painful. If I'm hurting bad, I just stand in the shower and just try and wash whatever I can reach without too much pain.

But anyway, sorry for the long winded post, I do babble on lol. Do you think I should try again and try and re-word it in a different way? Or better still get some help to fill it in?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help
    You will not be able to apply for DLA, as it has now been replaced by PIP. This means you will likely have a face to face assessment similar to that of ESA.

Oh right, and how would I go about doing that?

I'm on income support now because my partner is disabled (how we met) so is there anything special I have to do?

Oh I've just googled PIP, I know what it is now. All changed hasn't it :|

Quote Originally Posted by Bammy View Post
    Oh I've just googled PIP, I know what it is now. All changed hasn't it :|
    Hopefully the sticky thread in which I've posted a lot of PIP information will help.

If you are going to apply for PIP, I suggest you start gathering your evidence now, as you only have 4 week from the initial phone call to submit your part 2 PIP form. This is probably the most important documentation you would need to support your PIP claim.
    Flymo's post is remarkable and has loads of information and guidance in it to help you.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by mariaz View Post
    If you are going to apply for PIP, I suggest you start gathering your evidence now, as you only have 4 week from the initial phone call to submit your part 2 PIP form. This is probably the most important documentation you would need to support your PIP claim.
    That's a very important point, Maria - you don't get much time to get your evidence together. It is possible to send in evidence subsequently. Once the assessment provider has made contact with you, it's best to send additional evidence both to DWP and the assessment provider. You can hand in additional evidence at any face to face assessment, though this denies the assessor the opportunity to read and reflect on that evidence before the assessment.

However, it's also important to bear in mind that the earliest day you can be paid PIP for is the day that you phone to start the claim.

I would recommend starting any PIP claim as soon as possible, but make any requests for supporting evidence immediately. There may not be enough time to obtain supporting evidence before you must return the PIP2 if you wait until you receive the PIP2.

It strengthens your claim if you can support your PIP2 answers with supporting evidence.

I think its sad that the claimant has to gather their own medical evidence. Why don't they just access your medical records themselves?

Thank you for the replies.

I haven't got a lot of evidence of my condition, every time I get a new consultant at the pain clinic he changes my diagnosis. The only thing they are doing for me is the occasional MRI and to change my pills.

I am starting a 12 week course for pain management, maybe they can help me gather some stuff.

I think the referral to the pain clinic, MRI, and different pills your on is good evidence of the seriousness of your condition. Just ask the doctor if he could diagnose the condition, the prognosis and how it affects your daily activities. Have a look at Flymo's post on the main page (it's highlighted), Flymo explains it much better on the evidence you need to collect and the key areas the report needs to cover.
    Flymo is a god sent to us people, so helpful and gives some very useful advice. Thank you Flymo.