Thread: Struggling at work

Struggling at work

I have numerous physical problems due to a road traffic accident when aged 4. I have a disability, as a result of a stroke, I have a left-sided hemiplegia and have chronic back pain (broken T12 vertebrae and curved spine), right hip and Knee pain and arthritis in my left wrist, I also trip and fall frequently. I have been in my current full time desk job over 14 years in banking, but I am finding it really hard to cope lately. I get very tired easily and find it hard to concentrate for 7 hours per day. I have tried reducing my hours in the past but struggled to cope financially. I have explained the problems I am experiencing to the management team but they don't seem to want to know. I would like to stay employed as I enjoy being around workmates and what would I do without my wage. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated in these worrying times.

Would probable be an idea to make an appointment with a CaB advisor or equivalent professional and see with both your personal and financial circumstances if you'd be entitled to any financial help with say tax credits or HB if you reduced your hours.

They'd need to know things like your household make up eg partner , kids, mortgage or rented dependant or non dependant kids and your finances to work things out for you. I'm sure there'll be other options available to you , it's just a case of finding what option would suit you best.

Hi Neil,

So you enjoy the comradeship and challenge of work but due to your impairments find it difficult to maintain your present hours.

Right, well you’ll carry on tripping and falling whether in work or not. Let’s see what the barriers to work are -
    - back pain - have you asked Access to Work for an ergonomic assessment of your workspace? With a curved spine you’d probably benefit from a dual wing swivel chair for comfort. http://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic...ice-chair.html

Trips and falls - if you have a dropped foot you might benefit from use of a leg brace, use of crutch to aid balance or ultimately a wheelchair which can be sourced through Access to Work. http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/access-to...l-help-at-work

Disability Awareness Training for managers - you often find non-disabled people don’t understand the barriers to work for disabled staff or what solutions are available. Ask HR if they would consider offering all managers an awareness raising course. Access to Work could be asked to provide training for free.

Ask your corporate HR department if you can set up a support network for disabled staff to enable all disabled officers the opportunity to discuss disability issues to help retain, develop and recruit disabled people. They will be very keen to help out as they will have ‘targets’ to reach having a diverse workforce.

Tiredness. You should be able to reduce your hours or offer flexible working hours If they don’t then there’s a problem with the companies policies and procedures for disabled staff. Another good reason to set up an in-house disability working group to highlight disability working related issues.

Finance. Other people will be able to suggest benefit solutions. If you have a spare room at home you might be able to rent it out to a live in lodger to make up lost money if you decided to reduce your working hours. Go through http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatmate/..._id=169533379& LLooks like you could get £350 a month tax free through the Government’s rent a room scheme. You can earn up to £4,250 per year tax free through the scheme. https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your...-a-room-scheme

You should be getting DLA mobility and care component or PIP. These benefits are not means tested. https://www.gov.uk/pip

Thanks Lighttouch very helpful

Is there a human resources person or team you can speak to? You can usually talk to them anonymously about your problems.

Are you receiving DLA/PIP?

The money from PIP if you arent already recieving it might help make up some of the money lost from dropping your hours. It'd also help to ensure that your disability is recognised for tax credits purposes. This would then add disability premiums onto your tax credits.

How close it'd come to your current salary is hard to say. you only mention banking. Huge differences in income between city bankers and someone working in a high street branch.

Struggles at job include back pain, shoulder, and lower back aches along with neck and eye strains. to prevent all these I would like to suggest you with some of the exercises-
    1. Rise UP
    2. Neck Stretch and Rotation
    3. Seated Jumping Jacks
    4. Abs Twister
    5. Seating Elbow Curls
    6. Upper Body Twists
    7. Arm Raises