Thread: Callipers: Trad or new style?

Question Callipers: Trad or new style?

I have a short, weak leg and have always got on fairly well with a traditional locking steel calliper and custom boot - in fact I quite enjoy them . It's the "ischial weight bearing" style, i.e. with a "sit on" top ring. I'm now wondering whether a modern (plastic?) style calliper might be lighter and give better function. Does anyone know whether these are available in weight-bearing form, and whether one would be compatible with a four-inch raised boot? Of course I'm used to my ankle being supported by the steel uprights. Any experience or thoughts would be welcome. (BTW is it "caliper" or "calliper"? Is there a correct spelling?)

Cheers
    Baz
    Last edited by baz9195; 03-01-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: To correct emoticon

I've responded to your other post. BTW either spelling seems OK.

Hi Baz I have worn full length kafo's n both legs since childhood. I have inner raises on both ortho boots and for 99% of the time I have had the traditional steel and leather callipers. A few years ago I was "persuaded" to try the modern thermoplastic style. For me utter disaster I fell many times the knee locks and the whole brace seemed not supportive enough at all The plastic irritated my skin despite wearing full length kafo socks which normally reduced any irritation especially when wearing in a new set of leather braces. I am relieved to be back in old design Nothing could persuade me to change again
    IJ

Just out of interest IJ, which hospital/supplier do you use? I've just been moved (funding) and am worried lest I get the same persuasion. I'm not going to say where the hospital is, on the forum, but you could message me, if you know how. Your post reinforces my thoughts to Baz (on the other post).