Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio recording ESA home assessment

Audio recording ESA home assessment

Been waiting for an ATOS home medical since like January 2014, recently phoned ATOS asking for the medical to be recorded does anyone know if this delays it at all? And is a home assessment in my favor being granted one?

yes a medical itself takes its time, if you ask for it to be recorded they will have to cancel the original appointment and book a new one with a recording system (although bear in mind sometimes they tell you on the day that the system is 'broken' and so the medical will have to be done without one. although you can always record it yourself in private, not that that makes much of a difference sadly. i recorded mine but still had to wait till my appeal, and my appeal was won simply from all the other evidence i got my doctor to send in!)
    and a home assessment will be grated if you have gotten your doctor to request one for you, sadly i don't think just asking for one gets you one, they tell you that you have to have your doctor send over a fax stating that his/her patient cannot leave the house.

I have been granted a home visit my doctor did me a letter of support for a home visit, also my doctor at the mental health services at my local hospital is doing me a report to send in also to ATOS... just hoping it will help cos I am so scared of the actually assessment itself

yeah that could work wonders, i've heard of people who have been told they were getting a medical, asked their doc or support person to send in a letter to ATOS and eventually their medical was cancelled and they were simply placed into a group. so heres hoping this happens for you but of course, be prepared in case it doesn't! just make sure someone is with you during your home medical.

Quote Originally Posted by help_me View Post
    yeah that could work wonders, i've heard of people who have been told they were getting a medical, asked their doc or support person to send in a letter to ATOS and eventually their medical was cancelled and they were simply placed into a group. so heres hoping this happens for you but of course, be prepared in case it doesn't! just make sure someone is with you during your home medical.
    Just received my report from the hospital, time to get it sent off to ATOS I guess.. Hope it helps me

Don't forget to make two copies of the letter before sending it. One is for your file. The other is to hand to the assessor on the day of the assessment, in case they have not been sent it.

It's wise to send the letter to ATOS via a route that gives you proof of delivery. Special Delivery is a good option, but expensive. Recorded Delivery is cheaper, but should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    Don't forget to make two copies of the letter before sending it. One is for your file. The other is to hand to the assessor on the day of the assessment, in case they have not been sent it.

It's wise to send the letter to ATOS via a route that gives you proof of delivery. Special Delivery is a good option, but expensive. Recorded Delivery is cheaper, but should be sufficient.
    Yeah am getting the letter photocopied and recorded delivery to make sure it reaches them, do they even look at it before an assessment or what?

My understanding is that it should be in the bundle of papers sent to the assessor alongside your ESA50, but there are cases of supplementary evidence not being in this bundle. That was why I made the suggestion of having a copy to give to the assessor if you do have a face to face assessment.

It's best to check right at the beginning of any face to face assessment whether your assessor has been sent the letter. If (s)he hasn't, politely explain that you sent it to ATOS, give him/her a copy of the letter, give permission to add the letter to your notes and send it to DWP, and ask him/her to read it before proceeding.

Of course, the best case is if ATOS decide, now that they have the letter, that they have enough evidence to make the decision without a face to face assessment. The best thing is to assume you will still have a face to face assessment, and be pleasantly surprised if one is not needed after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    My understanding is that it should be in the bundle of papers sent to the assessor alongside your ESA50, but there are cases of supplementary evidence not being in this bundle. That was why I made the suggestion of having a copy to give to the assessor if you do have a face to face assessment.

It's best to check right at the beginning of any face to face assessment whether your assessor has been sent the letter. If (s)he hasn't, politely explain that you sent it to ATOS, give him/her a copy of the letter, give permission to add the letter to your notes and send it to DWP, and ask him/her to read it before proceeding.

Of course, the best case is if ATOS decide, now that they have the letter, that they have enough evidence to make the decision without a face to face assessment. The best thing is to assume you will still have a face to face assessment, and be pleasantly surprised if one is not needed after all.
    Sent the letter off recorded hopefully they will receive it Monday is there anything else I can do now? Or is it just a case of waiting also how do they points score you based on a home visit as i feel more safe in my home then outside

It sounds like you've done everything you can for now.

I'll leave it to others with relevant experience to comment on home assessments. My expectation would be that it would be the same as a centre assessment so far as possible. Obviously, anything that needs equipment that is not transportable cannot be done at home, but that would be nothing or a very small part of most assessments.