Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Van speed limits.

Van speed limits.

Question time guys, we have a mercedes sprinter 3.5 ton high roof, medium wheel base, it has the disabled tax classification and my line of though is it's treated as a car as far as speed limits go.
    It's not a commercial vehicle, so when on a duel carriageway has a 60mph limit and a commercial van has to drop to 50 mph, I dont need to.
    I've looked on the dvla site but no mention of disabled vehicles...unless they are called a duel purpose vehicle...any thoughts on the subject ?
    Thanks.
    Motability vehicle history....
    1996 ford galaxy,1999 VW T4 window van (Ricon tail lift ), 2005 VW T5 window van (Ricon tail lift)
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter (Ricon tail lift)..all vans have been wheelchair accessible.

The speed limit is for commercial vehicles of gross weight of 7.5 tonnes and over your sprinter will have kerb weight of about 2.2 tonne (unladen) hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Question time guys, we have a mercedes sprinter 3.5 ton high roof, medium wheel base, it has the disabled tax classification and my line of though is it's treated as a car as far as speed limits go.
    It's not a commercial vehicle, so when on a duel carriageway has a 60mph limit and a commercial van has to drop to 50 mph, I dont need to.
    I've looked on the dvla site but no mention of disabled vehicles...unless they are called a duel purpose vehicle...any thoughts on the subject ?
    Thanks.
    Just for information the Speed Limit on a Dual Carriageway is now 70MPH.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

That Gov.uk site was the one I was looking on but no details for disabled classification
    1996 ford galaxy,1999 VW T4 window van (Ricon tail lift ), 2005 VW T5 window van (Ricon tail lift)
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter (Ricon tail lift)..all vans have been wheelchair accessible.

Account deleted
    Search for The Highway Code

That's a dreadful example of failure to present data clearly, which has led you into misreading it. It doesn't help that one important piece of underlying law is rather archaic (the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - which have been amended so many times that you can't hope to make sense of them by reading anything other than a good consolidated version).

The Sprinter is definitely not a dual-purpose vehicle - that definition covers certain configurations of the Land Rover Defender, for example. It is a vehicle that is either all wheel drive or has a list of features including transverse seats (now banned in new builds) that has an unladen weight not exceeding 2040kg.

It is definitely not a car derived van either - that's something like a Vauxhall Corsavan or similar, which is clearly a van version of a passenger car. There is no doubt that the Sprinter is based on a goods vehicle.

The answer is beyond doubt when you read the definitions under the table on that page. "Most vans are under 7.5 tonnes laden (loaded) weight and must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight."

I'm afraid the taxation class (Disabled) makes no difference to the vehicle type, uncle bob. It's still a van and must follow the van speed limits: 50mph single carriageway, 60mph dual carriageway and 70mph motorway. If you had the V5C (which you won't, as it's a Motability vehicle), you'd see N1 in the Vehicle Category field, which is "goods vehicles with a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5t".

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    That's a dreadful example of failure to present data clearly, which has led you into misreading it. It doesn't help that one important piece of underlying law is rather archaic (the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - which have been amended so many times that you can't hope to make sense of them by reading anything other than a good consolidated version).

The Sprinter is definitely not a dual-purpose vehicle - that definition covers certain configurations of the Land Rover Defender, for example. It is a vehicle that is either all wheel drive or has a list of features including transverse seats (now banned in new builds) that has an unladen weight not exceeding 2040kg.

It is definitely not a car derived van either - that's something like a Vauxhall Corsavan or similar, which is clearly a van version of a passenger car. There is no doubt that the Sprinter is based on a goods vehicle.

The answer is beyond doubt when you read the definitions under the table on that page. "Most vans are under 7.5 tonnes laden (loaded) weight and must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight."

I'm afraid the taxation class (Disabled) makes no difference to the vehicle type, uncle bob. It's still a van and must follow the van speed limits: 50mph single carriageway, 60mph dual carriageway and 70mph motorway. If you had the V5C (which you won't, as it's a Motability vehicle), you'd see N1 in the Vehicle Category field, which is "goods vehicles with a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5t".
    You make sence of the regulations Flymo, although not over clear to the layman, I'm happy to go with the fact the Sprinter is just a van and I need to stick to the vans speed limit restrictions....many thanks

You'll love this, uncle bob.

Further checking on the Mercedes web site reveals that it is possible to register certain Sprinters as passenger cars (M1 vehicle category). Mercedes must have put some of the smaller Sprinters to EU type approval as cars as well as vans. If your Sprinter is registered as a car, it is a car and car speed limits should apply.

You need to find out what the vehicle category is on your Sprinter's V5C. If it's N1, there's really no doubt that van speed limits apply (30/50/60/70). If it's M1, it's possible that car speed limits apply (30/60/70/70).

Maybe the best thing to do before investigating any further is to fill in Motability's online form for a copy of the V5C.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    You'll love this, uncle bob.

Further checking on the Mercedes web site reveals that it is possible to register certain Sprinters as passenger cars (M1 vehicle category). Mercedes must have put some of the smaller Sprinters to EU type approval as cars as well as vans. If your Sprinter is registered as a car, it is a car and car speed limits should apply.

You need to find out what the vehicle category is on your Sprinter's V5C. If it's N1, there's really no doubt that van speed limits apply (30/50/60/70). If it's M1, it's possible that car speed limits apply (30/60/70/70).

Maybe the best thing to do before investigating any further is to fill in Motability's online form for a copy of the V5C.
    Hmm....just tapped the Sprinter details into the DVLA road tax site, comes back as N1 type approval, so thats cleared that one up....again many thanks Flymo

Just to be clear the definition of a dual carriageway is a road which is separated by a central reservation, a physical barrier between the different flows of traffic. Without a central reservation then the single carriageway limit applies regardless of the number of lanes, I.e. 60 mph.

I know a few people who have received speeding tickets having assumed the 70 mph limit applied.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!