Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinal stenosis -applying for dla

spinal stenosis -applying for dla

Hello,
    I was looking for some guidance. Today i sent off my completed application for DLA, after i found this site. The problem is I dont think i've filled the form in the way "they" want it filling in. I get the impression from this forum that I should have told them more about how it impacts on my life rather than my condition. Do you think I will be rejected because of this? Can you be knocked back because you cannot play the game and I'm not experienced in form filling? I've been like this since December 2009 after an accident in work, lost my job and claimed nothing, living and struggling on my wifes wages.
    I have lived like this with the pain, gone through all the stages of feeling useless etc, now I am depressed, taking my frustrations out on my wife and angry at being washed up at the age of 46. I trully believe I am entitled to this, I have asked Jobcentre Plus for help and after phoning them and being promised call backs, getting none, I finally logged onto the internet to try find out myself what I could claim. I would be glad of any advice, as I've had none from anyone, this site is full of people in my position, who will have experienced the problems I'm facing right now. Please can you help?

davewhit
    Your right its nots whats wrong its how it affects you,, your spinal stenosis........ trapped nerve could mean one persons in full time work no problems to being in pain 24 hours a day needing lots of help
    Thats the key they need to know what help YOU need

all you can do is wait and its a funny world you could get dla on what you have put as you also have to take into account did the DM get a good nights sleep

If you did not tell them what you felt that needed to know, then you can reapply, you can appeal. You may not get DLA based on what you said, or you may get a lower amount. It is not the end though. Just apply again or appeal. They do need to know all, how can the judge otherwise?

You are not washed up, you have a condition that affects your life. You have paid your taxes, remember that. You are owed this. YES OWED IT. It is your right to claim benefits. That is my advice. What can you claim. You could get help with paying rent if you rent a home, Council Tax, you could get Carer Allowance. There are so many benefits you can claim. Contact your local CAB or a local disable agency.

Jobcentreplus are useless. They have no idea what you can claim. You have to do it yourself. What you can claim depends on several factors. This is why I advise getting some advice from someone who can look at your situation. There is hope, you have rights, & you need to see that.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi Wayne, I sympathise as I too have spinal stenosis, not my main problem though, fractured vertebra & complications. However I too worked all my life until last year when I lost my job due to long term sickness. I have always worked and still want to but am in too m uch pain. At 50 I also didnt want to be consigned to the scrap heap and felt entitled to DLA. I was reliant on SSP then ESA - have you gone down this route? Website yougov helps re benefits. My advice is as the previous comment, contact Citizen's Advice, if your local one is still going ! ? you will have one person to deal with throughout. The system wants to know every last minute personal detail about how your daily life is affected. Give it all. I was embarrassed to, but it's the only way. Get testimonials from former employer, colleagues, GP, local MP, sports mates if you previously played sport, about how your work and team spirit ethics were great. Get them to say you really are in need of help at the moment and for forseeable future. Get letters with their names and addresses & dates on to back your claim. They seem to deal with straight facts not our individual emotional circumstances, even thought I know how this must be affecting you. Don't give up hope, effort, wife, even if you feel really in pain the system doesn't care. I didn't think I'd get it but I did because I was a genuine case. They seem to be really anti claimant at present as they have been told to save all this money via cutbacks to benefits. Genuine claimants must be recognised as there have been so many scroungers over the last years - watch Dom Littlewoods's Saint&Scroungers ! Ask CAB if you should ring DLA to say you'd like another bash at the application. Good luck, from Sally's mum.

Not sure what you mean by "playing the game" but I agree with what the others have said.

Thanks for everyone comments, I was gettng ESA but recieved a letter 3 days ago saying, although they recognised I had a disability, I scored nil points and to qualify I needed to have scored 15 at least. By playing the game, I was referring to the vast majority of people who are obviously well and on DLA, but have researched the system and can answer the questions with no problem. Unfortunately, I see these people everyday, walking around shopping and for them its nothing. I have a genuine reason for not working, I am in constant pain but it feels wrong for me to admit this? I wonder if people understand where I am coming from when i say this.....Anyway, I am appealing against the descision on the grounds that I dont think I understood "how" to answer these questions. For instance, they put on their report that I could walk 200 metres, when I didn't say it at all. I did say that everything I do is subject to me being in constant pain.
    Thanks Andypandy, a you may be aware by now I am not too good in epresing myself, but it is something that I am lear

Hi Wayne, I know it's a bit late but you need to check this website out - especially as you plan to appeal. Pay to become a member for full access to the information.
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

Wayne, I would not say the majority of people are playing the game, as you put it. Many are, that is true. I do not feel it is obvious at all. This is something people in society think about us. I can walk (Well sort of), I go shopping, for food & other things. I am disabled.

How you word your answers to them is vital. They take what you say literally, usually. If you say on a good day you can walk 200 metres, that can mean most days you can do this. If you say you can bathe yourself without help, this can imply you can bathe without trouble.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Wayne, I would not say the majority of people are playing the game, as you put it. Many are, that is true. I do not feel it is obvious at all. This is something people in society think about us. I can walk (Well sort of), I go shopping, for food & other things. I am disabled.

How you word your answers to them is vital. They take what you say literally, usually. If you say on a good day you can walk 200 metres, that can mean most days you can do this. If you say you can bathe yourself without help, this can imply you can bathe without trouble.
    Thanks, I understand. Have joined the website now, willkeep you informed on how i get on. Appreciate you time and help, but i'm just frustrated.
    cheers

Hello Wayne

I can understand your frustration, we all can. But just because you see people shopping does not mean they are not entitled to DLA etc. When I could walk I would go shopping and then spend the next week in bed recovering.

Many disabilities are hidden and like yourself people put on a brave face in public.

Good luck, let us know how you get on