Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motoring - Important News for Motability Users

Thumbs down Motoring - Important News for Motability Users

Reposted here in case you don't look in the Motoring section.

The number of cars on the scheme has been slashed from a peak of over 3000 new cars to 1476.

The changes are due to new proposals brought in on 20th October 2011 by Motability's Chairman, Lord Sterling.

The key changes include:

• A streamlined selection of cars available, up to a maximum Advance Payment of £2,000 (this limit does not apply to Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles)
    • Nominated drivers under 21 will only be permitted where they live with the disabled customer
    • All nominated drivers need to live within five miles of the customerís home

The changes are designed to ensure that Motability provides clear policies, focused on the needs of the vast majority of customers. They will also help avoid misuse and misrepresentation of the Scheme.

The changes to car selection take place immediately, although Motability will honour all existing orders and commitments. Other changes will take effect from 1 January 2012.

There is no change for existing contracts, or nominated drivers named on current insurance certificates, for the remainder of existing leases.

Click here to read his full statement

Read the article on why the changes have been made:- The Daily Mail!
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 21,500 miles; avg 34.3mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I can see the five mile limit being a big problem for a lot of people! And I can't really see any proper justification for it!

These days 5 miles is nothing. It is very possible not to have a family member or friend within that distance.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I live in Cornwall so that will be a MAJOR problem, but then as we are already customer will it affect us ? not sure ???

Yep, unfortunately It will affect you.

It's a change of contracts for everyone starting January 2012.

I just checked how far my parents live from me, we both live in Preston yet as the crow flys its 4.8miles - google maps 5.3miles.
    Which distance do they take?
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 21,500 miles; avg 34.3mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Guess. They will take the shortest, I am sure of that. They may use one of a GPS distances, but how many think that will happen? In your case, if this happens, I would challenge it.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Sorry am I being thick here, can I just get this right in my head - When I get a new motability car in December 2012 and if my carer is still with me AND she will be aged 20 then and lives about 10 miles away will have to be sacked because she cannot drive my car for me ?

Is this right ?

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    Sorry am I being thick here, can I just get this right in my head - When I get a new motability car in December 2012 and if my carer is still with me AND she will be aged 20 then and lives about 10 miles away will have to be sacked because she cannot drive my car for me ?

Is this right ?
    Yep - disgusting isn't it
    Motability Car History

Strange how this mileage issue has just come up. Only last week I phoned motability's insurance company up to see if I could add my girlfriend to the policy - she lives 70 miles away - they said yes at the time. The plan was so we could share the driving when we were together - it's all academic now though.

I've noticed that a fair number of top brands have disappeared from the Motability lease hire website. Well let's face it we need cars from a practical point of view and not to put the neighbours nose out of joint.

I agree that motability were stretching their remit too far promoting expensive BMWs.

There is no way this can work. Where do I stand legally with my carer, I cannot sack her because of motability, I will be done for unfair dismissal surely ? but unless she can drive for me then she is no good to me !

I wonder if you can prove they are employees, then the rule wont apply ?

How can I advertise for a new carer, saying they must live within 5 miles of where I live - ridiculous. I am ringing motability first thing in the morning, this cant be right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!