Thread: Suvery about activities of physically challenged people

Suvery about activities of physically challenged people

Hi everyone, I'm an Industrial Design student who is doing thesis research. The goal is to design a product to generate exitement in the neighborhood. Like equipment can be used indoor, in the public area or on the street. Any suggestions? Could you please to do me a favor to finish a survey? Thank you so much!

click here to start

I thought YOU were the design student and yet you want US to design YOU something mmm ?

Quote Originally Posted by sjdx View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm an Industrial Design student who is doing thesis research. The goal is to design a product to generate exitement in the neighborhood. Like equipment can be used indoor, in the public area or on the street. Any suggestions? Could you please to do me a favor to finish a survey? Thank you so much!

click here to start

First of all do your research on your target audience.

Where have you come up with the phrase 'physically challenged people' - wrong! Please refer to any person with an impairment as a 'physically disabled person'.

So your brief is to 'generate excitement in the neighbourhood'. Going by the phrase and your spelling of neighbourhood I'm guessing you're an American student!

What would excite me. Strange as it would seem I have a passion for well designed benches to sit on. At home I have an ergonomic wooden bench a there is a curved seat and a curved back rest that supports your lumber region in place. I have yet to find a commercially designed ergonomic metal bench that has those qualities. Design one of those and you'll get my vote!

This is American, you can tell by the spelling. I am not sure what is it about really. What excitement, what do they want to design? I would love someone to design public streets that are more disabled-friendly. This does include benches, & ones that you can sit on & are not some modern rubbish just designed to look good.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Unfortunately LT the OP isn't the only person to use the phrase physically challenged as Peter Norfolk the Number 1 wheelchair tennis player in England has a shop called "equipment for the physically challenged" Its where I got my tennis chair from.

Strange term I agree !

http://www.epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/pro...nd-1710-00.htm

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    Unfortunately LT the OP isn't the only person to use the phrase physically challenged as Peter Norfolk the Number 1 wheelchair tennis player in England has a shop called "equipment for the physically challenged" Its where I got my tennis chair from.

Strange term I agree !

http://www.epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/pro...nd-1710-00.htm
    Handy link AP. Well I was watchig a documentary Sunday night about the new Tintin cartoon character and the presenter was a wheelchair user. He was using a an unusual trike like I'd never seen before and it looked so easy to operate. And here it is on the link
    http://www.epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/pro...nd-2950-00.htm

Here's the programme it featured in - Tintin's adventures with Frank Gardiner on BC TWO Sunday 31 Oct
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b016xjqx/

Very cool

PS I was out on a trike this morning in the sun with the wind in my face - beautiful.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 11-01-2011 at 10:11 PM.

I am disabled. I have to call myself physically challenged or I get told off, by officials & Civil Servants. I am told this. I tell them straight that what I call myself is up to me. What they call me is also up to me. There is too much PC rubbish these days. I am partially deaf, but it is said I am hearing impaired. I am partially sighted, cannot be half blind. You have to be of mixed race now. Mentally challenged-What the hell is that suppose to mean? It could mean you cannot count to 10! What is wrong with calling a spade a spade? I said that once to a Housing officer, I was chastised for being racist. How can we know who we are or what is wrong with us if we cannot use the words that describe our conditions or circumstances? Words are not offensive, it is who uses them & how they use them that can be offensive.

I am physically challenged, so I must need a wheelchair then!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi Stephen there's always a good reason why people are called blind, visually impaired, deaf, hearing impaired, people with learning difficulties. All these people have different impairments and would be termed as being disabled people.

The reason why this happened is because the Council asked different disabled people what terminology would you like us to use so we don't offend you.

The terminology was agreed then policy makers ensure that the 1000s of staff they have all sing from the same hymn sheet. This way it also protects the staff and organisation from coming under attack for using abusive or discriminational language. Just look at the fuss caused about an abusive racial remark made by that Chelsea footballer - he mmay well lose his job due to an inappropriate racist comment.

The other thing that disabled people should be aware about is the importance of the 'social model of disability as opposed to the 'medical model of disability that doctors, nurses, medical professionals hold - but that would come under another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Handy link AP. Well I was watchig a documentary Sunday night about the new Tintin cartoon character and the presenter was a wheelchair user. He was using a an unusual trike like I'd never seen before and it looked so easy to operate. And here it is on the link
    http://www.epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/pro...nd-2950-00.htm

Here's the programme it featured in - Tintin's adventures with Frank Gardiner on BC TWO Sunday 31 Oct
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b016xjqx/

Very cool

PS I was out on a trike this morning in the sun with the wind in my face - beautiful.
    That sounds amazing LT. I would like to get one of those hand powered cycles, so expensive tho