Thread: Claiming PIP due to changes in condition and already claiming DLA

Claiming PIP due to changes in condition and already claiming DLA

Hi
    This is my first time on this forum, so not quite sure how it works etc
    I am already claiming DLA lower rate care component.
    I made a claim for PIP at the end of February 2014 as my condition has changed and worsened. On the phone they told me that the call date would be the start date for the claim, and to get my questionnaire completed within 4 weeks to be valid claim, supported with relevant evidence etc.
    This done, I sat back and waited... I had my face to face assessment on 10th July 2014 and am now awaiting a decision.
    I do continue to receive the lower rate of DLA for care.
    The adviser from CAB told me that they would backdate my claim for PIP to the start date of PIP claim minus the amount of DLA already been paid to me.
    I am now hearing rumours that this is not so! That there is no backdating.
    In the past if I had put a change of condition in when DLA was running, I would have got a back date to start of claim.
    So, assuming the rumours are correct, why must DLA claimants who are being reviewed be penalised if the government have changed the benefits scheme from DLA to PIP.
    As new claimants to PIP I hear get theirs backdated, if not already claiming DLA.
    Have I been given the correct information.
    What are other people's experience of this who are in a similar boat or who know the answer to this?
    I would love to hear from anyone who can shed some light on this.
    Cameo

It is only backdated for new claimants. My daughter has just been awarded enhanced rate mobility instead of low rate on Dla, but the extra wont start until October although we claimed 6 months ago. So you won't get backdated payments.Good luck with your claim

The CAB are wrong. As Jayne says, there is no backdating for those being reassessed from DLA to PIP.

The reason is because reassessment could lead to a lower PIP award than DLA. If the PIP award was backdated, anyone in this position would have a lot of money to repay.

There's a fuller explanation of implementation of PIP awards on reassessment in the sticky PIP thread, about five posts in.

Hi flymo does that also go for people who are already on pip as a new claimant then circumstances change and they are awaiting face to face for higher rate? Thanks

Once you are on PIP, the normal supersession rules apply to changes of circumstances. If your condition deteriorates, any increase in PIP following a report of change of circumstances is backdated to the date your notification of changed circumstances reached DWP or the day you have been at the new level of disability for three months, whichever day is later.

Hi flymo I originally informed them of change of circumstances in April but didn't get my form until July I received a latter from atos this morning to say they are now looking at it.

Also I received an appointment letter yesterday to confirm date of my injections is it worth sending it to DWP? Thanks flymo you are all so very very helpful this forum is a lifesaver.

Hi Flymo
    Thanks very much for the reply and to everyone who has commented.
    I know what to expect now, lets just hope I get the support I need, it is very hard to survive financially on benefits.
    Thanks again you have been very helpful, good to have people on board with the knowledge.