Thread: PIP, Carer's Allowance, State Pension, Pension Credit

Hi,

Just need a bit of advice. If I get awarded PIP my husband will be my carer - well, he already is but because he is State Pension age and receives State Pension he is not eligible to claim Carer's Allowance for caring for me. He does, however, receive a component in his Pension Credit for being a carer. So, my question is, because he won't be able to claim Carer's Allowance will I be entitled to Severe Disablement Allowance, or is this only payable to single people who live alone and have no carer?
    Last edited by tattymama; 11-07-2014 at 11:21 PM.

It's only for those who live alone and have no carer.

Retirement Pension and Carer's Allowance are overlapping benefits, so you are quite right to say your husband cannot claim Carer's Allowance.

Severe Disablement Allowance is an obsolescent benefit that closed to new awards in late nineties. Those still on it are being reassessed for Contributions Based ESA. It's likely nobody will remain on SDA in two years' time, though that depends on how well the new ESA assessment provider deals with the backlogs.

What you were thinking of is Severe Disability Premium. This can only be paid as part of a means tested benefit to someone who lives alone or can be treated as living alone. Unless your husband can be disregarded, you will not be entitled to SDP. Assuming he is not receiving a disability benefit in his own right, a disregard does not appear possible.