Thread: The right to complain?

The right to complain?

Not sure if it's the right place but I need some advice please no hate as I'm only asking.
    I had a stent operation yesterday, the hospital I go to has a hotel attached to it which they book me into as I have to travel to get there.

After the op I wanted to go back to the hotel and I was willing to sign discharge paper saying I'm leaving against medical advice

Well the reaction I got from the doctor wasn't what I expected, I knew she wouldn't be happy but she told me she was disappointed and if she knew I was going to discharge myself she would never have done the operation

She also said if I went to the hotel and something went wrong they couldn't help me as I had discharged myself and they don't have A&E then she stormed out!

There was other doctors in the room I suffer from social anxiety and social phobia and I have never been more embarrassed in my life!

So anyway does anyone think I should put in a complaint?

P.s they made me feel that bad I didn't discharge myself

Just from reading what you put it seems to me the Doctor had your best interest at heart - your health and your recovery after the operation.

Where are you now?

Rich ward is correct this doctor seems to have your best interests at heart, I hope you make a speedy recovery.

NHS complaints procedure is long in this case I personally wouldn't complain, however it's your decision best of luck with it

The doctor was doing her job correctly, she was looking after your welfare.

You had just had a serious operation and needed to be monitored overnight, at least, to make sure that all had gone well.

If during the operation a catheter insertion tube was used (in your arm or groin) this is also left in place after the operation and needs to be removed and the site checked to make sure the artery is healing well before you leave hospital.

As I say the doctor was acting correctly and I don't see any cause for complaint.

Hope that you are recovering well.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

So, it worked! The doctor has only your best interests at heart and I would not blame her for being upset on your wanting to discharge yourself. She has done her bit on the operation so it is up to you to do your bit on getting better. This doctor is obviously a very caring one. How could you complain against a doctor like this? Just get recovered and back to health that is the most important thing for you now.

Thanks guys I have slept on it and I won't be complaining If it wasn't for the NHS doctors I wouldn't be here
    I was born with congenital heart disease and had this op done many times
    I was just upset at the way she acted I have never had a doc act like that before
    And because I suffer for anxiety she made me feel stupid and I kind of obsess over things like that for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by DD91 View Post
    Thanks guys I have slept on it and I won't be complaining If it wasn't for the NHS doctors I wouldn't be here
    I was born with congenital heart disease and had this op done many times
    I was just upset at the way she acted I have never had a doc act like that before
    And because I suffer for anxiety she made me feel stupid and I kind of obsess over things like that for a long time
    Glad that you have decided not to complain...and am glad she got angry at you....don't think for a minute that she wanted to make you feel stupid [even if you WERE being stupid in wanting to discharge yourself] but that she was more than likely frustrated and a wee bit..or more...angry at you for maybe causing yourself more damage after your operation. If I was your mum I would be a bit more than angry!!! I think that good doctors put their heart and soul into their work and that usually involves emotions to be in play...you have been so lucky in having a doctor like this...some doctors are very cold fish indeed. So....don't feel stupid and obsess over what you feel was you being made to feel stupid but feel lucky that you had a doctor who actually gave a da*n. Do put all your efforts into getting better. Best wishes pet.